Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding hostnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

QBaz

Technical User
Mar 20, 2003
GB
I am running a network using Sun Solaris 2.6 and am very new to UNIX systems.
I have tried to add 2 new hostnames and IP addresses using Host Manager. This seemed to be successful as when I performed a 'niscat -h hosts.org_dir' command, the new hostnames and IP addresses were there.
However when I try to do a rlogin to the server with one of these new hostnames I cannot connect (times out) although I can successfully ping the server and get a reply.
If I log on with the same terminal as one of the original hostnames, all is OK.
Is there somewhere else I need to add the new host information?
Can anyone help please

Many thanks

Can you telnet to the remote machine successfully using the hostname?

The unix 'r' commands rlogin, rsh, rdist allow you to access remote machines without authentication. As such some form of trust needs to be established between the server you are logging on from and that you are logging on to. This takes the form of an equivalence file specifying which hosts and users are trusted. There are two places that this information can be supplied on the target system. The global file /etc/hosts.equiv or a users own .rhosts file in their home directory.

The format for entries in both files is
remote_host [remote_user]

A wildcard + can also be used but must be treated with extreme caution since it can, if used incorrectly, completely override any login security

Look at the man page for hosts.equiv for more details.

julianbarnett,

FYI... the 'r' commands do use an authentication, but it is behind the scenes within a nis domain. If a nis domain is not set up, or you are using the 'r' command to connect to a machine outside the nis domain, then you will be asked to authenticate. The other option is to do as you described with the .rhosts, /etc/host.equiv, or /etc/host.deny files.

Have a Great Day!! :)
~Sol
Sys Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back