Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Gigabit backbone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHX90

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2006
GB
Hi,

I currently have approx 250 users accessing 10 servers through eight 48 port Superstack 3 4400 switches. Idealy, I would like the servers and the current switches to connect to one for two gigabit switches, each of servers and 4400s having two connections for resilience.

Can this be done with the 1000baseT modules in the 4400s and has anyone any recommendations for the Gigabit switches that will be future proof for applications such as VOIP and PoE. Configuration advice would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it can be done with the Gig modules in the 4400. I can't remember off the top of my head but you should two module bays, correct.

As for PoE, that is best left on the edge switches. That's where most of your phones or other PoE devices will go anyway.

I'm using a pair of 4924's (XRN connection between the two) for my server core and it has all I need: routing, virtual interfaces, VLAN, QoS, RIPv2. I also use a 4005 as an aggregation point for all my edge switches and connect it to the server core using resilient aggregate links. Every edge switch has two connections to the aggregation point (4005) although I use aggregate links at edge switches to connect them to the core for increased bandwidth.

Have Fun! [afro2]

Hi,

If you have some $$ to spare you can also go for the 3com 5500G-EI core switch. We have 4 of them with XRN and 10GB modules.. it works awesome

bio..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back