Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding frames 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyzzzzz

Vendor
Mar 28, 2006
US
Hi, I am looking for an application that can interweave frames from 2 opposing videos? For sake of description let's call them video 1 & 2. I am hoping to upload a gif to explain, (Like Rod sings every picture tells a story) I am also, looking for a way to speed up to say 120fps or down to 10fps. This will allow me to have areas that are fast and slow in different areas of my video

Hi

You can do both of those in Premiere.

To change the speed you select the frames that you want to change, right click on them, select Time Stretch from the drop down menu and set the speed to a percentage of the original, higher or lower. I will say that slowing it down too much has an effect on how smoothly the video runs.

As far as editing the video you can run multiple video tracks and combine them any way you want, same with audio, and narration tracks.

I'm using an old version Premiere Elements version 3 that I have had for years and it works great on both my old Windows XP computer and my new Widows 7 computer.

I'm sure a new version would probably work even better, but it has been so trouble free that I have never bothered to upgrade. I think you can get a new version of Premiere Elements for around $100.

I wouldn't go with the real thing unless you are a professional video editor, elements will do anything you need to produce a professional looking job.

Mike

Ps. I clicked on you link but it didn't go anyplace.

HEY MIKE

It was quite funny when I read your handle, i thought someone was telling me it's not possible! Anyway mate I like what you had to say and do have premiere cs4 only, I have not used it yet, would you happen to know if there is a video or any other format out there that walks one through this process. Also while I have you on the line would you happen to know if premiere has a maximum speed for progressive frame rate.
Being that I was unable to upload my gif.
what I am trying to do is in merging the two video's i.e. take frame 1 from vid A and place it in front of frame 1 of vid B so that 1A/1B/2A/2B/3A/3B and so on. Also possibly 1A2A/1B2b/3A4A/3B4B/ etc until both vids are merged. I know it must sounds nuts but believe me there is a method to my madness.

Thanks mate, all the best Gary

This going to be something of a fiddle.

Place the two clips one above the other on a Premiere Pro CS4 timeline.

Apply the Strobe effect to the top clip with the duration half of the period and the strobe set to make the layer transparent. This will cause the lower layer to appear half the time interleaved with the top layer.

Now the fiddling starts.

The period of the strobe is in seconds, tenths and hundredths, which makes it very hard to split exactly on every frame.

However, it should be possible to use File/Interpret Footage to select a frame rate for both clips which is compatible with tenths of seconds matched to the strobe frequency set in the effect so that the swaps happen as you describe.

If you are lucky and patient, you now have alternating frames on a timeline at the wrong speed.

To simplify your next step, nest this timeline (sequence) inside another sequence and use speed keyframes to get the speed changes you want.

Be aware that seriously slowing footage is unlikely to be very attractive visually. Best results when using exact divisors or multiplies (eg 1/2, 1.3, 2x, 3x etc) to avoid Premiere interpolating frames.

Have fun !

Hi Flyzzzzz

I have never tried to see how far you can speed up and slow down the frame rate. I know that you can go up to 120 fps and down to 10 with no problem. That's 400% and 33% respectively.

Check out this link for videos on how to use Premiere...

As far as my handle I started using that after creating a character for the online game "Age of Conan".
I realized that Conan could be arranged into "Nocan" so I added the "du" to the end and that was my characters name.

Hope you have fun with Premiere, I use it mostly to edit together animations that I create in other programs, add sound music etc. and to edit video I record from satellite TV and make my own movie DVDs with my lead in on the front.

Good luck

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back