Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding formulas to a cross tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

atarrqis

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2004
US
Crystal 11 and Oracle
I have a cross-tab in my report header with column = Labor, rows = Part, Order#, Qty Complete and Sum = sum of Costs.
This works fine and Costs are totaled correctly. I also sum Qty Complete per Part. Now I want to use these sums to determine avg cost = sum of Costs/Qty Complete.
This seems simple but I have no experience with cross-tabs.

Is Qty Complete another summary or a row? If it is a summary, are you using a sum on it? At what level do you want to see the avg cost? Grand total? Per some row or column or?

-LB

Qty Complete is a Row which I bring into Summarized Fields. I suppress this except at Part Total. I need the Average at Part which is the top of my Rows. My column is Costs but this runs for many depts. A cross-tab seemed easier then defining a formula for every dept. I need lots of other formulas similar to Average but assume if I could figure out one I could figure out the others.

Please start over and go into the crosstab expert and identify the fields used for Rows, Columns, and Summaries.

-LB

Sorry, I confused you.
Column = Labor
Row = Part, Order, Qty Complete (in that order)
Sum = Cost, Qty Complete

The first thought is that "Average" is one of the summary options available in the Crosstab Expert.

What version of Crystal Reports are you using? Crystal Reports 2008 includes a neat Embedded Summary Feature where you can take two summaries and calculate a new summary using them.

it is possible to do this with older versions. Ken Hamady published a technique for this several years ago. Check out the back issues of his newsletter.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Add a third summary (below the other two in the crosstab expert) based on a formula:

whilereadingrecords;

Then selet the cost summary->right click->format field->suppress->x+2 and enter:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar cost := currentfieldvalue;//change to currencyvar if cost is a currency
false

Then selet the qtycomplete summary->right click->format field->suppress->x+2 and enter:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar qtycompl := currentfieldvalue;
false

Then select the {@0} summary->right click->format field->DISPLAY STRING->x+2 and enter:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar cost;
numbervar qtycompl;
if qtycompl <> 0 then
totext(cost/qtycompl,2)//2 for two decimals

-LB

Thanks, I was able to do what you instructed but I now realize that the sum of Qty Complete is not correct. I don't know why. It correctly displays at the row but does not add up correctly. I realize now that it is only adding relative to where there is any cost instead of for every part/order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back