Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding files to a MySQL database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikZ

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
Most of my working knowledge comes from Access, so if this isn't an issue with MySQL, be kind.

I plan on making a web-based story archive. I'm trying to figure out how to link the story files to the MySQL database. In Access you can link to a file outside of the database. Is this possible in MySQL? Or is it so stable I can just add the whole story file?

I'd prefer to have all my stories in a separate directory and link to them from the MySQL database. Is there an example of this or a tutorial anywhere?

I'd assume, you can have the SQL db store a reference to a link (file) that is stored in flat file space. Then, just use the reference to the link in your scripts for the webpage.

Try to use the Binary data type..I've never used it before but I have heard good things!
-NixerX

actually, I just put in the path and the name of the file.
I'm making this web-based so I also added the href to it. Works great!

Well, except for titles that have a ' in them. Those I edit by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back