Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding extra AND to query causes error, works otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackgold

Technical User
Dec 3, 2009
US
My error is this:

"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'inner='y' AND start<=CURDATE()' at line 1"

The intent of this section of the code is to fill $lft and $rgt with somewhat randomized content from the "item" column that meets several requirements. This code worked perfectly until I added:

AND inner='y'

To two of the SELECT statements. When I delete both occurances of this AND, the code will go back to properly selecting content as desired with the exception of taking the "inner" column into account.

I've done a lot of searching for an answer but I have not found anything. I get the feeling it is something simple that eludes me...

$bri=rand(0, 1);
if ($bri==0) {

$query="SELECT * FROM $table WHERE type='lft' AND subject='chr0001' AND start<=CURDATE()";
$result=mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

$num=mysql_numrows($result) - 1;
$rand=rand(0,$num);

$lft=mysql_result($result,$rand,"item");
$lftsub=mysql_result($result,$rand,"subject");
}

else {

$query="SELECT * FROM $table WHERE type='lft' AND subject!='chr0001' AND inner='y' AND start<=CURDATE()";

$rand=rand(0,$num);

$lft=mysql_result($result,$rand,"item");
$lftsub=mysql_result($result,$rand,"subject");
}

if ($bri==1) {

$query="SELECT * FROM $table WHERE type='rgt' AND subject='chr0001' AND start<=CURDATE()";

$rand=rand(0,$num);

$rgt=mysql_result($result,$rand,"item");
$rgtsub=mysql_result($result,$rand,"subject");
}

else {

$query="SELECT * FROM $table WHERE type='rgt' AND subject!='chr0001' AND inner='y' AND start<=CURDATE()";

$rand=rand(0,$num);

$rgt=mysql_result($result,$rand,"item");
$rgtsub=mysql_result($result,$rand,"subject");
}

I found out that INNER is a reserved word and cannot be used as a column name. I renamed this to something else and now it works fine.

You can also wrap it in backticks (`inner`), but avoiding reserved words completely is certainly preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back