Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Existing IP500 as Expansion on Server Edition/AppServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BQbo

Systems Engineer
Feb 2, 2022
US
We currently have two IP500v2 units (v11.0.x) that are connected via SCN along with VMPro on a Windows 2012 server. The end goal is to retire one of the IP500v2 units (currently the primary) at Location A and move all its users/extensions/call routes to a App Server/Server Edition (at v11.0.) at Location B and VMPro on a newer OS.

I have the new server configured and connected to VMPro. Need guidance on the next steps. I believe what I need to do is add both IP500v2 units as an expansion and remove any existing SCN. Once that is done, import users/groups/short codes, manually create extensions, then remove from the primary IP500 unit. I know I'll need to update the voicemail password on the remaining IP500 unit. I would need the primary IP500 unit still connected to the server edition as we'd need to connect any existing phones and route phone calls while we port the number to Location B.

Does that sounds right? Am I missing anything?

What are you referring to when you say server?
Are you adding a Server Edition? (SE with Linux VMPro)

Once the Server is configured, add the 2 server edition licenses.
Use Manage to add the expansion.
This will automatically create the VoIP line between the 2.

Import the users, shorts codes etc...

Note: upgrade the Windows server to 11.0.4.7. Pull a full backup and drop in the "other Backups" folder on the Server. Restore on the 7071 port maintenance settings.

Correct, buy server, I mean Server Edition with VMPro disabled and installed separately on a different server. Do I need 2 server edition licenses if the expansion units are IP500 units?

Today I managed to add one of the expansion units to the server edition, but had issues with the licensing going dormant. Voicemail Pro off the new server was working, but I couldn't call any extensions off the IP500, kept getting call rejected.

Correct, you need a SE license for each instance. Primary, Secondary and each expansion.

Thanks, in regards to SIP Trunks, do those need to be on per system or can they all be centralized on the SE?

So, assuming I have enough server edition licenses for each additional system, the rest of the systems should just connect, right?

Also, if I'm running 11.1, can I have voicemail pro running off a Windows box? We need that to continue one of our current proccesses.

Windows is not supported on 11.1
I would use the VMPro on the primary server. Is there a reason you don't want to use that?

We have a process that transcribes voicemails which didn't work on our 11.1 test. So until we have a fix for that, was hoping to stay at 11.0.7 SE + VMPro on Windows

I see, if thats the case going server edition really isn't a good option at this time.
A networked IPO500v2 on 11.0.4.7 using VMPro will work fine.

Thanks, one more question. Upon checking with our vendor, we have the following licenses:

* Avaya IP Office R11 Virtualized Server Edition License PLDS x1
* Avaya IP Office R11 Server Edition License PLDS x2

Is that second one what we need to use on/for the two additional IP500 units?

Yes, it appears to be correct.
I never setup a server edition on 11.0.4.7 and used Windows VMPro.
Since the windows installation of VMPro requires preferred edition licenses. the SE license may work. Never tried it..

Thanks, I got server edition 11.0.4.7 to work with Windows VMPro, with one caveat, after every restart, I have to update the voicemail password on each.

Last question, do you know which of the two licenses I would need to setup a resiliency server, the virtualized server edition one or just the server edition??

Using an external VMPro in your case will not be resilient. You can setup IP phone failover and fall back.
Ideally you should have two servers configured the same. Setup failover to the secondary with VMPro resiliency.
You can also setup failover SIP trunks in this configuration.
Remember, you have to license each server and expansion. Looks like you have 3 licenses.

Thanks again, hoping for that soon once the Windows requirement is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back