Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Exchange 2000 Server in Outlook in Remote Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Is there any way I can add exchange server on to Outlook 2000 on a remote site that doesnt have the exchange server on that site. I know can add internet email in outlook to recieve email from the exchange server but want to try adding in exchange server option in outlook. I keep getting an error with logon and the domain. I quite positive that there are right. Anyone have any ideas on this??

Chris

What is the connection between the remote site and the local site where the Exchange server is located?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

You will need a considerably fast connection for this setup. Also are you blocking any IP ports between sites?

Nick

I think the best way to do this, is to configure a VPN server on the exchange server site (use Remote access server), then you can configure a VPN connections to any client from outside this site.

OR..
if your site is connected to the internet, add a host line in the DNS of your ISP indicating the IP of our mail server (but the line indicates the netios name of the machine, not a MX record), so that anybody when connected to the internet, the outlook can resolve the netbios name from the internet DNS.

Regards :)

My connection between the two sites are Business ADSL. So bacially the exchange server has to be in the LAN or WAN. Also I was wondering if I wanted to store peoples mail on mailstore what is the best way. So when a user loses there pst file or hard drive corrupt i can retrieve there mail that is on their mailstore. How abouts would I do this? I dont want to use store a local copy on the server option for this either. Is there a way that the mailstore can be backup containing all there mail from the beginning to the end.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back