Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Exch Ent 2003 server into Exch 2003 Std scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakamon

MIS
Feb 4, 2002
US
Are there any gotchas to installing exchange 2003 Ent server in an environment that has 2 2003 std BE servers and 1 std FE server and run concurrently.

Reason: 70 GB DB's on each, and need to migrate all users (300) eventually to this.

I have a system with 40 Gb RAM and loads of disk, so that will bridge us until we go to a 2007 cluster.

Only the dead fish follow the stream

I do not believe you will have a problem ADDING a new BE Exchange server even with Enterprise on it. The Enterprise will give you so much more flexibility in terms of MailBoxes/Stores/DB management Note: you say loads of Disks, I hope that means you have thought about performance and use of proper Raid configuration for System/Exchange files, Database files, and Log file allocations.

Not only is it not an issue to add Enterprise servers in an existing Exchange environment, it's actually fairly easy to upgrade an existing Standard server to Enterprise.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The server is to be repurposed later in year for VM host. Had to buy this hardware this year....

I can send inter domain email, have mailboxes on that new server accept email from external addresses, but I cannot send email to external recipients. Other 2 email servers running exch 2003 std are working fine

I look and they are all just hanging out in the queue. And the error message is unable to bind to the destination server in DNS. Dont really know where to begin to trouble shoot.

Could be one of many things. On the SMTP connector on the original server, is relaying allowed? Allow relay from the new server. Depends how you configured it but that is generally the one that people overlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back