Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding DID's into Norstar 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahze9

MIS
Feb 6, 2004
US
I just recently received a block of 20 DID's for my company and was hoping that I would be able to add them in myself. I did a bit of reading but apparently I am getting nowhere. I assumed the following:

Our Rec'd # is set to 3 under system programming

I followed exactly how our original DID's were set up; I used the last 3 numbers of the telphone number as the Rec'd # under line programming. I chose the next available line, set the prime set, and the clid set.

I then chose a telephone and assigned that line to it. I call the DID, and it rings a different phone. In fact all of the DID's ring to that phone (it happens to be the last line used previously)

Am I missing a step or two here?

Please help. Thanks

sounds like you have it right. what do you see on the display of the phone that rings? do you have the DID Trunk showing on that phone (it shouldn't be) or the target lines showing on that phone? is that phone the attendent phone? what version of software are you using? Give us the exact trunk/line numbers you are using. look at one of the trunk/lines that is working ok for you and give us the data programmed into that.

all info is useful to us

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Thanks for the fast reply. The phone that it is ringing on is not the attendent phone. I was not employed here when these lines were set up, however I have verified that it is the highest line number used already. (Line 182) When the new DID is called (I put it on Line 183) it rings at Line 182, in fact all DID's (even if I didnt set them up yet) ring on Line 182.

The DID Trunk and the target line are not showing on that phone.

When I call the number it comes through on a Answer DN button programmed for line 182

The system is programmed on a line that is working as follows:

Liine Type: Public
Rec'd #: 842
If Busy: To Prime
Prime Set: 3014
CLID Set: 3014
Aux Ringer: N

I am not sure how to tell what version I am running. Under the maintance I see version number 30m1F05 NAT

Thanks!

The new telephone number's last 4 digits is 1011 I used line 183 copied all the same data as above with the line that is working with the exception of the Rec'd # which I set to 011

It could be a number of things. Although let me say that Programming DID's is definitely not an end user function, and my first recommendation would be to call a vendor. That being said, if you are confident your programming is correct, you should call the provider, and confirm the number of sent digits, etc…

Also- what does the display of that ringing phone say when it is ringning with the incorrect line?

(answer DN for line182??)- what is that?

Yes, If I can not figure this out, I will certainly be calling my vendor, however I was just trying to save some money! I have figured out just about eveything on my own with this phone system, and thought that this couldnt be too hard. To the best of my knowledge (which is certainly limited) I am doing everything correctly.

What are some things that can go wrong with the phone provider? The number of sent digits should be how many? 3? I am not exactly sure how DID's work, is it possible that I should be using a different Rec'd # then just the last 3 digits? If it is a programming mistake on their end I would like to find this out before my vendor arrives, so that I am not charged for 2 visits, because reprogramming takes a few days I understand.

I assumed being that the new DID's were set up through the same company as our previous DID's, and I asked them to replicate all settings for the new DID's to the old DID's that everything would be the same.

Thanks Again

I don't think you can use a leading digit of 0 for a did received number. this is from memory can somebody check me?

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

It’s just a good idea confirm the settings with your provider when you are having problems that are not related to programming (if that’s the case.) There is no magic number for sent digits: you just need to confirm that sent and received are the same.

I think Jerry may have it...per the manual: A received number cannot be the same as, or be the start digits of a line pool access code, a destination code, the DISA DN or
the Auto DN.

0 is the start of dest codes. Do your other DID’s start with 0? If not, you are probably going to have to change something on your end, or the carriers.

Jerry's got it - also the system may take a leading 1 but my vendor advised me not to lead with a 1 since it can cause issues. The default park prefix is 1xx which can be changed, but he said there are other problems as well.

You can start with a 0 on your received digits. But it sounds like the carrier is sending somthing other than 011. Like someone said ealier you need to find out exactly what Telco is sending.

Hawks: I dont recall ever using a leading 0, if you do, do you have to do anything special, like clear the direct dial (0) to something else, or none?

Well just an update, I have my vendor here now and he is having the same problem that I was, so I don't feel so bad! He says that you can have 0 as the leading digit as hawks says.

I am now calling my carrier to double check programming on their end.

I will write back with results in the event anyone else in the future runs into the same problem.

OK, Problem solved. It was a carrier issue, they told me (may make sense to some of you, its above my head though) that on their end they have 2 routing groups and they accidently put my DID's in the wrong routing group. They made the switch and all is working fine now.

Too bad, I got nervous and called my vendor. I certainly could have handled this myself. Although, now I know for next time!

Thanks again, this board is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back