Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding CALs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
I noticed that our CAL limit had been reached so i went ahead and orderd a 5 CAL upgrade pack.

They have just arrived, the first thing i notice was that the packaging says "Small Business Server 2003" where i had expected 2000. I rang the supplier who said that this wasnt an issue and was simply down to the fact that the 2000 licences are no longer supplied, which is OK.

I had expected some form of disk, and I have gone into the SBS admin console, and when selecting the "Add licences" from the To Do list, there is mention that I need to put in a floppy disk, run the setup, then enter the new licence code.

I dont have this disk...

Advice appreciated as we will need to pay extra if this requires a site visit and id rather learn to do it myself! Ta.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

From the Microsoft web site on Windows Small Business Server 2003 Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions regarding SBS 2000 Cals,

"You will need to purchase Windows Small Business Server 2003 CALs, apply your downgrade rights, and then contact your Microsoft customer service center to order fulfillment media at a nominal fee. You need to order the fulfillment media separately since Windows Small Business Server 2003 CAL packs do not contain the floppy disk that is necessary to deploy licenses on Small Business Server 2000. The Small Business Server 2000 floppy disk also works with previous versions of Small Business Server"

Unfortunately I have not had to do this yet, so let me know how you get on,

Thanks
Ivan

Thanks for that info - why licensing has to be so confusing i will never understand!

I contacted the supplier again this morning as i found some similar information, it's seems just a genuine mistake in over looking the fact that we have 2000 SBS, not just the normal 2000 (Which im told the paper only 2003 licences work with as they are backwards compatible).

I have since enquired about getting the 2000 SBS client addon pack so hopefully this should be sorted, even if it is a case of just needing the extra floppy. I will let you know how i get on.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back