Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding border to text

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby77

Technical User
Jan 7, 2008
US
I am using Photoshop CS3 and trying to add a border color to text. As an example I have the text designed in green, and I want to add a red border around the green text. How do I do this? There must be a simple way as it is very simple in Paint Shop

I should clarify. When I say add a border I am talking about an outline around the text. It seems like it might be possible to copy the text to another layer and change the thickness, then overlay? Seems like there should be an easier way

I figured out a way to do this. Create the text, then select and use Layer > Brush option. If there is an easier way let me know.

My CS3 has no Brush option in the Layer menu.

There is a fairly simple way;

create the text
control click (PC) on the text icon to select the text
expand the selection by, for example, 10 pixels
add a new layer under the text
select the outline color
fill the selected area with the desired color
merge the two layers

Why do not use the built-in effest ?
With your text layer selected, add stroke layer style and you can choose color, width, and many more options, all dynamic

..use a layer style as cecebe mentions, much easier, and much more flexible...

...double click the text layer to bring up the dialog, stroke is at the bottom...

...or...

...select stroke from the effects (the 'fx' button) menu, at the bottom of the layers pallette, stroke is at the bottom...

Andrew

I create the text .. then on the layer I select layer options .. in there I check the stroke option and manipulate it there.

PS: Red and green together may not do that great for visibility/readability.

-E

(DISCLAIMER: Self-taught AI user; unorthodox methods w/good results)
'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

Choose your text layer, Hit the fx icon bottom of layers window, choose stroke, by default it is red /3 .You can alter selections for colour size etc on the window that opens...Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back