Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding another Domain Controller to the Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2006
US
Hello Network Experts,..I have a Domain and my Domain Controller is a Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition, no other DC's servers are on the network. From what I understand you cannot have Backup Domain Controllers anymore, you can have multiple domain controllers instead..correct??.,.. Well my Domain Controller is having hardware problems and I want to replace it. This Main Domain Controller is also a DHCP and DNS server....I have another Windows 2003 Server being used as a file server..... what would be the best way to make this server the Main Domain Controller and migrate all DHCP and DNS server settings from the Main Domain controller to this file server??..Goal is to take the Main DC offline, and make the file server the main DC with all DHCP and DNS configuration exactly the same as the current DC. Thanks

tfg pretty much hit everything.

You do have to address DHCP leases. If you want them retained and both servers are 2003 - this is easy.

Main Server
netsh dhcp server export C:\dhcpleases.txt all
Stop the DHCP service

New Server
Once you have DHCP all setup the way you want (remember to authorize it) Copy the lease file over. Start DHCP then
netsh dhcp server import C:\dhcpleases.txt all

I remember MS saying something about the new server being a member server then promoting it to a DC as the preferred method, but I have done it both ways and it works fine.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP

Man, I totally forgot about the DHCP! Thanks Supergrrover!

You guys are geniuses!, I am working on the solutions now, everything is going smooth, I will wait 24 hours as recommended, Thanks Guys!

Gentlemen in the Microsoft Article they talk about setting up also a child domain....what would the benefit be of having a server as a child domain? Shouldn't I just need a replication partner? Thanks again

I have added added a replication partner and transfer DHCP..however DNS is still active on the old server,,,is there a utility to migrade dns settings to the new server? server?

With Active Directory it should copy over to the new server. To double check connect to the new DNS server and go to your domains site expand the site so you can see the _sites folder and then right click on your domain and go to properties. On the gerneral tab it will say Type: Active Directory-Integrated, this means that it is copied between the different DNS servers.

Sorry I forgot to say at that point just change your DHCP to point at the new DNS/DC and then after everyone has checked in with the DHCP server they won't be using the old one. Well as long and you don't have static entries point to the old server.

Gshort I change dhcp to point to the new dns server however clients are taking a long time to log in.. :-(... before it was instant

ok this is what i did now......i took the old domain controller off line, i went to the new DC sites and serivces and deleted the old DC. i uninstalleed DNS from the new DC and then re installed id, re created the forward lookup zone and reverse lookup zone, however when clients login it takes like 20 seconds.......before it was less than 1 second...any ideas please?

gentlemen everything is working ok now, the problem was that i had a server with a static ip address, it was still pointing to the old dns server, so i changed it to point to the new dns server and for some weird reason now all computers can login fine and fast. I guess soemhow that fixed the problem, thanks allot

Hallo every one,i'm having problem setting up a secon domain controller.i have 2 server 1 is a dhcp but i want to make the other server also a dhcp,but i dont know what to do.pls help.

thnks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back