Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding an Aloha Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordaunte

Technical User
Apr 28, 2010
US
I have never used an Aloha terminal before (though I have many years in IT)...so bear with me.

I have a buddy that has a restaurant that uses Aloha terminals. He has a terminal that we want to set up. We hook it up, turn it on and it looks for the server that it doesn't find. Is there something we need to do on the back of the house server in order for it to see the new terminal? If so, what level of login do you need to be able to add terminals? Right now we have regular user rights that won't let us click the checkbox that says "add terminal". Is there a default id/password that is "God mode"???

I can't tell you about the "God mode" Security Levels in Aloha but it is posted on this forum. Just keep looking.

It will never work if the hasp key is not coded for more terminals.
Look through the employee list and see if the dealer has a default user in it. Do a clear password on it then log in with that user and you will have all needed rights.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

there is no add terminal button in aloha manager. If you have owner rights then you can definitely add the terminal, given that your key codes support another terminal. Open up aloha manager. Go to maintenance->terminals. The first thing in the scroll down should be term1 or w/e vanity name you choose but standard is term1. so the scroll should look something like this 001 term1. depending on how many terminals you have there the number should match the terminal. so terminal 2 will be 002 term2 and so on and so forth. Lets just say you have 3 total terminals. In the scroll down field type 004(which is the next available number). after typing 004 it will start your setup for the new terminal. set your voucher printer and receipts, check the order entry button. Last thing you need to do before you refresh is change the num terms on the ibercfg on all the terminals. so if you have 3 terminals and are trying to add the 4th then the num terms=3 should be changed to 4. If you do not do this you will get an error on the terminal saying numterms set to 3 but 4 are defined.

please note. this only works if your aloha key supports another terminal. If you already have the terminal you can always just call for a new key code for the extra terminal.

According to the restaurant owner, the area I am putting the terminal at used to have a working terminal there. It got broken so they just bought another terminal (used). I know their key is coded for 4 terminals (right now running 3). I tried hooking it up once already and everything looked good until the terminal said it was "configuring to server" and then just hung there so I assumed I had to do something on the back end in order for the server to "see" it.

I'll give your suggestions a try this afternoon and post my success or failure (probably failure as I don't know what the heck I'm doing)! Thanks guys!

Is it a radiant terminal? If so you really should try to set up RAL (radiant autoloader) on the system, it is very easy and IMHO definitely worth it.

the terminal will start by looking for the master terminal, then proceed to look for the server. If it properly see's both, it will then start to synchronize with the back of the house. how far is it getting on the sync? does it get to determining file server with numbers counting up? Make sure your permissions are set and security. If you get your hardware straight from radiant then username should be "aloha" and password is "hello". Set the terminal name to term1, term2, etc whatever terminal is down on the error message is what you have to set the new one as. depending on where you got the new terminal from the ibercfg file might not match the server. i would recommend doing a fresh terminal install or if your equipment is up to date then you can install radiant auto loader. Ral is not going to work with 98 machines.

Hi guys -

Got into the back of the house server using Admin mode and set term 4 to "order entry". Plugged in the terminal (it has RAL on it and is a Win XP machine). It raced through a lot of the screens and got to "terminal configuration in process...requesting configuration" and then hangs. This used to be a stand alone terminal...does this make a difference?

make sure the ral on your server is set to reload terminal 4.

As far as I can see, they don't have RAL running on the server.

Here is tonight's "trial and error" scenario...

Went into Aloha Manager on the server and opened Terminal 3 (what this new terminal is plugged into). Clicked the "enable order entry" checkbox. Then "Refreshed the system".

The 3 existing terminals came up with a "iber error" window and could not find the master terminal.

Went back into Aloha Manager again and clicked off the "enable order entry" box for Terminal 3. Then "refreshed the system".

The 3 existing terminals then came up fine with no "iber error" window.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I'm about ready to rip my hair out here and have a drink that I've managed to avoid doing for the last 25 years!

I work with Aloha every day hence the name "coorsman".

Ok,

1. all of the terminals have an ibercfg.bat file located in the aloha directory. You will need to edit this file on term 1 and 2. change the numterms fro 2 to 3.

"Radiant Auto Loader" on a new terminal does what we will have to do manually on the new terminal.

1. Remove RAL from the startup menu. Hook up a keyboard and mouse. Press the windows key then browse to programs - startup and delete the Radiant Auto Loader program.

2. Check the ip scheme on your BOH server aloha network card.
It might be 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.101 for term1 192.168.1.102 for term2 192.168.1.103 for term3 etc. What ever it is change the network address on the terminal.

3. Change the computer name for the new terminal, to term3.
Right click on mycomputer - click on properties, select the computer name tab - click change at the bottom of the dialog box then change from term to term3.

4. reboot the terminal as prompted.

5. You will need to check the permissions on the BOH server. The easiest way is to browse to the server to see if you are logged into Aloha with the correct password. Default pw is hello.

6. Browse to c:\

there is a folder called staging - inside this is terminst, open this folder. SetupTrm.exe

7.SetupTrm.exe select the server name - usually Alohaboh.
put in the correct number of terminals. 3

press ok. The termnal should begin installing aloha.

It will reboot at least twice.

Change the Aloha manager hardware terminals - check order entry.

Refresh the system.

Drink a beer ;p lol

Thanks to all that answered, but apparently when you go through the tcp/ip properties in windows 98, there is an Advanced tab that has a box at the bottom that has to be checked. After checking that box, both terminals that I was adding worked fine. Thanks!
e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back