Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Administrators to permissions of hundreds of redirected folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloaupito

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
Using a script, I have created multiple users (1000+) and in the group policy, I have redirected the My Documents folder (and other folders) for each user to a particular hard drive location. When a user logs in for the first time, the permissions for redirected My Documents folder (and other folders I guess) is set for only the user.

How do I set the default permssions for a redirected folder to INCLUDE Administrators?

OR is there a script that can create multiple user home folders with the same username AND set the permissions to the user AND Administrators?

This is for a school environment where I would like to delete student home folders once they have graduated or left school. Without Administrator permissions, I can't delete their folder.

Thanks in advance!

I have encountered this problem with the utility CSVDE before where the administrator has no access to the folder once created by the user logging in. I found that the easiset solution was to use XCACLS (from resource kit) and put the line
Xcacls \\server_name\users\%username% /T /E /G administrators:f /y
into the login script. This may need the home dir path's altering. This causes the user to grant the administrator Full Control to their home directory when the login script runs. It dosn't matter how may times this runs as long as each user runs it once. After each user has run the line can be removed from the script. Bit of a bodge but it works.
Andy

I tried your solution but perhaps I need more details to make it work correctly.

Suppose I create a notepad file with the appropriate script in it with home directory alterations. How do I save the file - file.vbs? file.txt? file.scr? Where do I save the file?

What does each part of the script mean?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back