Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding additional print drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcbatlinux

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
I'm sharing my printer and trying to add additional drivers for win98. I have an hp deskjet 820cse. I click on additional drivers and according to the help docs they should be on the "support cd". I've searched my winxp cd and don't find the print drivers. any ideas? the 820cse from HP is a .exe program so I can't point there to get the drivers either.

rcbatlinux

Have you tried the Hewlett-Packard website for any FAQs for driver downloads and installation techniques???

If not my best bet would be to ring them directly and ask one of their technicions what the go is

I guess the question I should ask is, Microsoft Help states the print drivers are on the "Support CD". Where are they on this cd? And is the Support CD the same as the Windows XP CD?

Hmm.

With my Canon printer I simply downloaded the drivers for Win2K/XP, and the drivers for 3.1/9x (two .EXE files).

Then I used Winzip to expand each into a folder of the same name, though I could probably have merely executed them in a folder and watched them self-extract into that folder. I'd still put 'em in different folders.

Then I set up the printer for XP using the drivers folder for Win2K/XP. Next I used the printer properties Sharing tab and its Additional Drivers button to install 9x support. When it asked for the drivers I simply browsed to the 3.1/9x drivers folder.

I don't think the WinXP CD has any 9x drivers on it.

I think they are talking about your printer manufacturer-provided "Support CD."

Try expanding your driver "exe" file as I did.

You don't even have to set up the xp pc to save the drivers for 9x. Just share the printer (\\computer\printer). Download the windows 98 drivers from this HP website:

Then place the file in a share on the xp computer (\\computer\hp) and open the printer drivers setup on the windows 98 computer. When it asks you where the printer is tell it the share name or scroll to it.

Hi All,

Found the problem. Good ole zone-alarm was blocking the ports on my share. Sorry for the stupidity. Once I set zone alarm up correctly I was able to print to the shared printer fine. Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back