Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding ad to dns manually on server2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktmrandy

Technical User
Dec 23, 2003
US
I have just installed Server 2003 on a new machine and the AD was not registered in DNS. nslookup gives the error that the server name cannot be found for the static IP address for the dns server. Netdiag indicated everything passes. Where do I put the _idap._tcp.dc._msdcs. srv record which appears to be missing from the dns records. Or is their another solution?

What machine does your DNS run on?
what version of OS?

have you setup dynamic updates on DNS?

if you want your DC to reregister itself, you can use this command...

NET STOP NETLOGON && NET START NETLOGON
and check its event logs to see what is not happening in DNS.

Better leaving the server to register itself, if you create the records manually, you are not sorting out what could become a bigger problem later.

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

DNS runs on the Server. It is a small network with only one server. Everything seems to be working correctly but nslookup says it cannot find the server. I have re registered the AD using ipconfig /registerdns. I used netdiag /fix to repopulate the DNS entries. Running Server 2003 version 5.2. I can add computers to the domain. Users can loggon, folders are properly reidrected. There may not actually be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back