Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Acute Accent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPetronas

Programmer
Nov 13, 2008
US
Hi All,

Is there a way to add an acute accent in Crystal reports? I have to add the accent to Holandska on the s. I am using Crystal reports XI.

Thanks in advance,
Petronas

Whatever your question, it helps to give your Crystal version - 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11 or whatever. Methods sometimes change between versions, and higher versions have extra options.

In this case it's significant because Crystal 9 and above use Unicode, so that anything you can type in or paste in should be processed OK. Before that it was ASCII, based on US standards and so imperfectly adjusted to accents. (There are dialects of ASCII, so a character can be fine in one context and shown as nonsense or something exotic in another.)

To actually get accented characters from a standard Anglo keyboard, you should be able to insert them one at a time in MS Word using Insert > Symbol.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

You do not need to use MS Word. Simply use the Character Map utility (usually found under Accessories in the Start Menu) to find the character in the appropriate font, copy it to the clipboard and then paste it into the application. If the character you want is in the ASCII or ANSI set, you can enter it by holding down the Alt key and entering the ACSII or ANSI number in the number keypad. For example, "é" can be entered by Alt-130 (ASCII) or Alt-0233 (ANSI). Both methods work, for me at least, with CR IX and 2008.

Peter

Thanks for your replies. I used the character map utility and it worked great. Appreciate your help and your valuable time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back