Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Active Directory service to Mac OS X 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashgordon

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
GB
ref: thread604-1050165

I've looked over previous threads about connecting a mac to a windows domain. It seems you need to enable the 'active directory' service in 'directory access'.
Well, I'm running OS X 10.0.4 (I was running 9.2 but just used the system restore discs to restore the dual-boot systems.) and there is no 'directory access', only 'directory setup' and that has no mention of 'active directory'. Is it possible to add it or was it not available on 10.0?
What are my options? I was using DAVE software on the old OS and can't find the CD!
TIA

Andy

Get an updated version of Dave or AdmitMac. The AD link for Mac still doesn't work properly in 10.4.

RUN AWAY from OS 10.0 any flavor!!!!

You should at least get 10.2 (Jaguar), it has an Active Directory plug in that is stable and works.

AFP and SMB Mounts for network home folders can be very confusing, and problematic unless you use one the two programs below.

Use Thursby's Dave (Active Directory Plugin for each Mac Client-each client needs a unique serial number) or Group Logic's ExtremeZ-IP (software installs on the server and not each client eliminating the unique serial number per client)

PS: Apple will not help you solve any Active Directory problems, and Microsoft will not help you with AppleTalk problems.

For more cross platform help see

RUN AWAY from OS 10.0 any flavor!!!!

You should at least get 10.2 (Jaguar), it has an Active Directory plug in that is stable and works.

AFP and SMB Mounts for network home folders can be very confusing, and problematic unless you use one the two programs below.

Use Thursby's Dave or AdmitMac (Active Directory Plugin for each Mac Client-each client needs a unique serial number) or Group Logic's ExtremeZ-IP (software installs on the server and not each client eliminating the unique serial number per client)

PS: Apple will not help you solve any Active Directory problems, and Microsoft will not help you with AppleTalk problems.

For more cross platform help see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back