Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a workgroup to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
We have a network with a domain and sharing an internet connection. Offices next door are waiting to have internet installed, so we are sharing ours with them.

They have no server, all Win XP home, and their router is connected to our hub. I've managed to share internet connection by setting their IP addresses to detect automatically. Our server has assigned IP addresses. They are not linked to our domain.

Now their PC's cannot see each other. I think it might have something to do with linking into our server and them having no permissions to access anything link to our server.

Is there a way to add their workgroup to our server so it can run seperately, or is there a way for the workgroup to support itself, but still link into our internet connection?

They are not part of your domain, so Active directory is not controlling the rights. Your server is assigning the workstations IP addresses so they should be able to talk to each other. Have you tried pinging to see if the machines can talk?

check and make sure they are all in workgroup and not in mshome or office as there workgroups also like zenyo says try pining.

You might also check and see what the specific DNS suffix is. If they are not a member of a your domain, but use the same DHCP server, that could be your issue as well. Might check the firewalls on the XP Home clients as well, our domain GPO kills that when they log in, but without having a DC to do that, your stuck to local policy.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking too complicated.
They've got Zone Alarm firewalls and they weren't configured to let the IP addresses through which were set by the server. Once done, it all works fine.

It's always the easy answers that get past you.

Thanks ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back