Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a word list to the dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

anita03

Technical User
Nov 17, 2003
US
I have a notepad file with over 1,000 words. I would like to import the whole file/all the words into the Pagemaker dictionary to help with spell check. That way I do not have to "add new word" for all the words!!!
Is there a way to import the file? If I go into Dictionary editor in Pagemaker I do get to the linguist/prs/usenglish and can see the Aldusn.udc file. I see the import button but do not know what to do there.
I need to send a file off to the printers and would like to do an automatic spell check before that.
Thanks.

Hi, anita03,

You're almost there.

The list of words you wish to import stored in *.TXT format, which you have, and need to separated by a return - i.e. a left flush list.

Load up the Dictionary Editor.
Open your US dictionary ALDUKN.UDC which contains your additional words.
Click File -> Import and navigate to where the *.TXT is located.
There are some options about about hyphenation and overwriting existing which you may select or ignore as you wish.
Click OK.
Save your ALDUKN.UDC file.
Exit the Dictionary Editor.

It's done!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hi John,
When I get to ALDUSN.udc and look for my .dic (I cannot change it to .txt even if I save it as a .txt file!) I can only see the folders on the desktop or in the c drive. How do I bring the .dic file up?

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Regards,
Anita

Hi, Anita,

> (I cannot change it to .txt even if I save it as a .txt file!)

That's what you need to do - rename the your list of words as *.TXT.

What's preventing you from doing that?

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thanks. I just changed the ending myself as I could not save it as a .txt file.
Do you know indesign? Is it the same way for Indesign cs?
Thanks a million,
Anita

Hi, Anita,

> Do you know indesign? Is it the same way for Indesign cs?

I do use Indesign but I'm not as knowledgeable about it as I am with PM after 15 years!

I'm about to order InDesign CS with the Adobe PageMaker Plug-in Pack, and gradually leave PM behind.

The best place to ask is the Adobe User-to-User InDesign Win Forum at:
You'll need to regster to post a question.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back