Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a wireless access point to the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastKid

Vendor
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hi Gang,
I currently have a LAN that uses traditional CAT5 Cables to connect to a switch. From the switch we connect to the DSL modem and then from their to the standard setup.

I have a PC that is situated a few hundred feet from the switch and I thought adding a wireless card and access point would solve my problem with the distance issue, generically how would I configure the access point and switch so they "get along" and don't cause conflicts?

If you are using DHCP on your network, and security is not an issue, you can just plug in a standard Linksys AP and away you go with the adapter connecting to the ssid of linksys. the switch and access point will communicate flawlessly

Can you clarify or offer a set of brief instructions, I don't quite follow...

Thanks,

Connect the wireless router to the switch. And set up the card on your computer. Find the SSID that the wireless router is broadcasting (assuming broadcasting is on) and connect. This assumes that you will let the router hand out ip addresses...

I see, I assume this means the access point is configured for DHCP, what about the switch? Is that also running DHCP? I assume not as that could cause problems if duplicate IP addresses start getting issued.

I must confess that I haven't done this before, but I it would seem logical that your assumption is correct. You could have both of them handing out ip addresses. Your router will need to be static, then it can hand out addresses as well, just make sure that the range of addresses is not the same for the router and the regular switch. Your switch only has a few ports anyway so limit the range from say 192.168.1.100 - x.x.x.104 (whatever your convention is) then begin your wireless router at 192.168.1.105 - to whatever.

I will take a look at my wireless router when I get home and see what configuration options I have. I might be telling you something that is way off here. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well.

Turn your computer off, power down the switch and modem and then connect your wireless router betweeen your dsl modem and your switch. Hook any wired pc's to the switch and then turn your modem, switch and pc on. Also, if you have a firewall you will want to turn it off for the initial setup.
Your new wireless card should automatically detect the wireless router. Once you determine you have a good internet and LAN connection you will then want to enable some encryption on the router and your wireless card, also change the "default SSID" and password on the router.Making these changes should be done with a pc that is "wired" to the router. If everything goes well, turn your firewall back on and enjoy your wireless freedom.

Switches do not handle DHCP (give out IP addresses), they keep track of MAC Addresses (every NIC has a unique mac address, no two alike in the world), the router is the one handling the DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back