Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a voicemail or announcement to a ring group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

minirock

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2009
Hi,

We currently use the Mitel 3300 Integrated Platform and I am having trouble working out how to configure the system. I have set up a ring group for my team, so that when some one calls a certain number it rings all of us, but I would like it to divert to an answer phone message after a certain amount of rings.

Is there any way of doing this using ring groups or do I need to use a different method.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam

in ring group there's an option to send it to an alternative answer point after a set amount of time.

all you really would have to do is create a mailbox with your ring group number as the extension number for the mailbox.

configure the answer point to be your voicemail trigger number and voila.

you may have to introduce namteg hunt group as your overflow point.

cross that bridge when you get there though.

I haven't gone step by step how to do the above, I'm assuming you understand the concept though.

Thank you for your quick response. I don't really understand how to set it as the mailbox number is the same as the ring group number, so would it just not loop round. I am very new to the mitel system as I have just changed from a company that used an Avaya Definity, which is completely different to setup.

I am slowly getting the hang of it, would it be possible for a step by step if its not too much hassle.

Thank you again,

Adam

He means create a mailbox on the voicemail with the same extension number as your ring group. That way when the call reaches the voicemail integration will direct it to the correct mailbox ( i.e the voicemail sees "callforward from ext xxxx and it then puts your call in mailbox xxxx ).

I needed to do exactly this i.e. put all members of the team in a ring group but have voicemail in case nobody is available to answer.

Did exactly as you suggested and it works fine except for a problem with the voicemail indication on the 'phones, to summarise:

- Create ring group with pilot number we want people to dial
- Put each team member's extension in the ring group
- Set overflow number of ring group as the voicemail access number
- Create voicemail box with same number as the ring group

Everything perfect EXCEPT that after a message has been left, only 1 team member's phone has the flashing voicemail indication. It is always member index 1 in the ring group (the one you added first). Not a disaster but would be better if everyone could see the message waiting indicator. Any ideas?

To improve on this, I also tried making a function button on each phone (Mitel 5212) a message waiting indicator for the ring group mailbox (multiline set key assignment). Works for ordinary extension mailboxes but for a mailbox numbered after a ring group it says "the directory number is in use elsewhere" and refuses to set it.

Finally, tried setting the ring group overflow point to be a real extension which immediately diverts to voicemail.

Now we can set a message waiting indicator on a function button on each 'phone without a problem.

In fact, this setup works perfectly for external incoming calls. Calls go to the right mailbox and everyone can see the message waiting indication (on their function button). But for internal calls, whilst the divert to voicemail works, it's the system mailbox that answers (not the real extension mailbox with our team's message). Doh!

So we are back to the setup where only 1 guy gets the voicemail notification.

Can anybody do any better?

Iniadan has identified the key issue with associating a Ring Group Directly to a VM (Message Waiting Notification)

MitelPassion touched on the solution by mentioning NameTag groups.

I've laid out the complete solution in the following FAQ.
faq1329-7197

Call flow is as follows.

Call to ring group
Rings members
Follows overflow to Nametag Huntgroup
Routes to VM and MBX associated with Nametag using the *xxxx method to direct the call to a specific mailbox that has the capability of message waiting (read FAQ if that didn't make sense)
Mailbox answers, takes message and set lamp.

Done.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Thanks, came across that FAQ during the afternoon after I posted earlier, which pointed me to the solution i.e. setting up with nametag hunt group.

Now works a treat. Thanks again.

Hi,

I have the same problem, do you know if this also works using Nupoint?, I tried to setup this with MCD 4.0:

Ring group: 4400 with overflow to *4500
Hunt group (Nametag type): *4500 with no members and always routed to 3500 (Nupoint Hunt group)
But when I call to 4400 it goes to MBX 4400 not 4500.

Thanks.

Not sure I followed the entire thread correctly but perhaps with the Nupoint you could use the Alternat extension.

Ring Group is 1xxx
Mailbox is 2xxx with an alternate of 1xxx.

A phantom key on a phone is 2xxx and msg wtg key 2xxx is placed on all the phones.

Ralph

UncleRalph, I don't understand what you mean, could you explain it a bit more?.

Thanks.

Hi UncleRalph

Finally I think I understand what you mean,

I setted up a mailbox with the number of the ring group with an alternate extension, when no answer on the ring group it goes to the VM and the MWI of the alternate extension lights on :)

Thanks!

Hi sorry to dig up an old post however i have the exact same issue here but cant quite get it to work.

i need to be able to enable MWI button for a hunt/ring groups voicemail on each persons phone in that hunt/ring group.

Can anyone offer any advice, i have tried the following:

- Call to ring group 7862

- If busy/No answer diverts to Nametag Hunt Group 7855

- This has rerouting set to voicemail and this works
(There is a mailbox number 7855, I have tried the extension no as 7855 & 7862, not sure which is right)

- The main issue now is that I still cannot set a MWI. “Directory number is already in use”

- I have tried setting the MWI as 7855 & 7862 same error

Am I missing something obvious ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back