Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a sound card to Dell Poweredge 1400sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLLady

MIS
Jun 20, 2002
US
I am being given a Dell Poweredge 1400SC Server and I want to know if anyone has installed a soundblaster live 5.1, 32 bit sound card in this box? I know this is unusual for servers but being a home network I felt it doesn't matter - no stress. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Never done it but can't see why it would cause any issues, what OS are you running on it?

Right now its Windows 2000 Advance Server. I will be upgrading it to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I am learning the server and its functions.

I have been told that Dell Poweredge servers because of there architecture sometimes require different cards to make it work.

thanks in advance

I have never heard such a thing. I tested Dell Poweredge Servers at Dell for 5 years and although we did not test sound cards they take the take the view serious that they try to make the boxes as open as possible since that's what hurt IBM and Compaq in the past was requiring proprietary equipment.

For what it's worth.

Michael

Thanks Michael for your response. See below the following specs on the Dell Poweredge 1400SC:

Dell Poweredge 1400SC
Pentium III 933MHz (Dual-capable up to 1.4Ghz)
256MB Registered ECC SDRAM
48x IDE CD-ROM
Dual-channel on-board Ultra160 SCSI Controller
18GB Ultra160 10K RPM Hard drive
Four 64-bit PCI Slots
Two USB ports
On-board Intel NIC
Spiffy Black case, mouse and keyboard

My question is can I install a 16-bit soundblaster live 5.1 sound card ( PCI) into a 64-bit PCI Slot?

Thanks in advance.

The 16-bit on the soundcard refers to its sound processing capabilites, not what type of PCI slot it uses. Unless I'm wrong, all current PCI slots are all the same.

There are a few differnt types of PCI slot but in theory they should be backwards compatible. I think the main problem is the 3.3v vs 5v slots as they are keyed differently so a full-size 5v card might not fit a 3.3v slot. However a 16-bit soundcard will probably just be a normal size which should fit in any of the types. Not sure if there's compatibility issues running a card designed for a 32-bit PCI slot in a 64-bit PCI slot (like I said in theory it should be OK...).

Hello,

I've tried exactly that card (SB Live 5.1) on a PowerEdge 500SC and I got a NMI Parity Check / Memory Parity Error (blue screen) as soon as I logged on. If anybody knows another card which works, please tell us.

Regards,
F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back