Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a second processor 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rene8a

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
US
IT Question:

If you have the following OS installed under a uniprocessor system and add a second processor, do you need to reinstall the OS?
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

????

I think not, but I need to verify.

You should either re-install, or use the uptomp.exe utility that comes with the resource kit in the following manner;

1. If your running system was installed directly from a base CD or from a CD that has combined the base CD with the same service pack as is running, use the CD directly.

2. Otherwise, create a temporary directory to hold the service pack files (e.g. temp/sp6). If you have the Service Pack as a single EXE file, expand the service pack to the temp directory (using "servicepack.exe /X"). If you have the Service Pack as a CD, copy the I386 directory to the temp directory.

Copy the \I386\TXTSETUP.SIF from the base Windows NT 4.0 install CD to the directory created above. This file tells UPTOMP which specific hardware specific files to update.

3. Start UPTOMP.EXE.

4. Select the Multi-processor HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to use (usually "MPS Multiprocessor").

5. Enter the full path to the service pack files (e.g. "c\temp\sp6") or the path to the CD (e.g. "E:\I386"). Click OK.

6. For the system files, enter the full path to the service pack as in (5). Re-select the MP hal to use (usually "MPS Multiprocessor"). Click on OK.

7. Click OK to the information/warning message.

Note: Do not attempt to copy the files yourself. UPTOMP has some internal knowledge of what files to copy for each specific HAL.

I hope this helps

Sounds like you know what you’re talking about. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for your help.

I just followed this proceedure and have been up all night with the Blue Screens!

Uptomp.exe finished and said everything was fine and to reboot.

Came up to blue screen : INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Any ideas?? Please help!

Bleary Eyeed.

Pulled 1 processor and it boots to a log-on screen and locks up.

Tried 7 times to do a parallel install but it hangs up on the 3rd diskette!

Good Intell motherboard with current BIOS.
Had 1 - Pentium 2 - 400
Added 2 - Pentium 3 - 600's

Please Help!
Thanks

Not sure about NT, but adding a second cpu in windows 2000 what you need to do is change the driver as follows

CONFIGURING SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE PROCESSING UNITS
1. Start Device Manager. (Select Start➪Settings➪Control Panel, and then doubleclick System. Click the Hardware tab. Click Device Manager.)

2. In the Device Manager dialog box, click the + next to Computer. (This is usually
the first or second device type listed under the computer’s name.)

3. Right-click the device listed under Computer. (This may be called Standard PC,
ACPI Uniprocessor PC, MPS Uniprocessor PC, or a brand-specific name.)
Select Properties from the menu that appears.

4. In the device’s Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab.

5. On the Driver tab, click Update Driver.

6. The Upgrade Device Driver Wizard starts. Click Next.

7. Select “Display a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a
specific driver.” Click Next.

8. On the Select a Device Driver screen, select the “Show all hardware of this device class” option.
Then select the manufacturer and multiprocessor model of your computer in the appropriate boxes on this screen. Click Next. If your manufacturer and model don’t appear on this screen and you have a disk
containing the appropriate drivers, click Have Disk and follow the instructions presented
on-screen.

This info was taken from MCSE study guide by Alan Carter.

My info was for NT4, and works for W2k. I found the info you posted in the Inside Windows 2000 book, but forgot to update this thread.

It's much easier in W2k - good tip! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE - looks like you have a disk driver that is not SMP aware, or requires a re-install. You did make an ERD, didn't you...?

There's an absolutely marathon thread on I_B_D here at thread616-68263

Hope you find something in there that will help

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks!

I believe the I_B_D is related to the onboard Symbios Logic SCSI controller chip. Perhaps it is corrupt.

Well & good but that is long into the boot process.

How could that inhibit the installation of an entirely new parallel install? When the 3rd setup diskette doesn't even finish!
And if it could ask for the Mass Storage Device drivers, I would give it the ones created by the Intel CD disk utility (4 Disks)

Motherboard is N440BX AA-694708 - 221

Intel says it should work.

Any Ideas???

Thanks for your help.

CoopTech

If it's W2k you could install over the old installation, pressing F6 at the relevant point to install the MSDD. This should preserve your current disk structures, apps and data. Think this works for NT4, but haven't tried it - can't see why not.

The NT kernel has always exhibited this wierd behaviour; that it can get so far reading the disk until it starts to query the actual driver that you want to use with it - much later in the boot process. I presume this is because the kernel has its own basic set of I/O instructions (disk/VGA etc) that it uses before it loads the drivers.

I would suspect in this case that the SMP kernel needs effectively to be re-compiled to use your driver - I speculate this because Mass Storage Device Drivers are always loaded very early in the install procedure.

Good Luck! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back