Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a route to an HP-UX server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccoubreyp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2001
GB
I have an HP-UX server on which my erp system runs. The users simply connect to it by using telnet. What I want to be able to to is for them to be able to access the server when they dial in (They are using Secure Client VPN software). I have done everything that needs to be done oin the firewall to allow the telnet traffic in. However it does not know how to get back to the client! What I need to do is to define a route on the HP-UX server to tell the traffic where to go to get back to the client. Does anyone know how this is done. I think i know but wanted to check with you guys first.

Also, whats the command that tells me the version of unix i am on?

Cheers

Phil

HI,

to find out what OS-Version you are using try uname -a
see also "man uname"

To add a route use

route add net <IP-Address-Range> netmask <your_netmask> <your_gateway> <count>
see also &quot;man route&quot;

JeanLucMCD

#
#
# route add net 192.168.128.112 255.255.255.0 192.168.128.118
add net 192.168.128.112: gateway 255.255.255.0: Network is unreachable
#

That is what I get when I use the above syntax. The first address is the NIC os the UNix server then the subnet mask, then the IP address of the gateway.

Can this be done in SAM?

Thanks for you help in advance

Phil

There is information missing.
If you host in on a different network from you VPN server then your Host should have a default route pointing to a network router that should know all the external networks and how to route to them. Adding the route to your host won't fix the problem unless you add a route to a router that knows about the external network.
If this isn't helpfull can you give a detail of your network and where the VPN server network differs from the Host network (don't supply the true IPs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back