Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a response/comments field to a SharePoint list

Status
Not open for further replies.

tparigi

Programmer
Jun 27, 2004
US
I'm in the process of creating a bug tracking list in SharePoint. Everything works great up until the point that you want someone to be able to submit a response to the original bug submitted.

For instance, a bug is entered into the system called "System crashes when low memory occurs" and this bug is assigned to Mike. Mike then wants to post a follow up to this bug entry - maybe he wants to put in some comments about his progress on the bug, etc.

I've thought about using a discussion thread, but this wouldn't work because the responses are new instances and do not work in a master/detail fashion.

It would seem that I would need to customize the list module. if so, has anyone done this or have any advice on where to start?

thanks

Hello...

Are you using SharePoint v2? Cause if you are, there is a custom list found in the create menu called "Issues". This will allow you to do exactly what it is that you are talking about. When the issue is created, you assign it to somebody, give it a category, and even link it to a related issue if it applies. When you want to add comments to the issue, you just select edit item, and it will create a new instance of that issue for you with the new comments. When you select the issue from the list, it will show you all of the threads for the issue. Unless I just misunderstood what it is your looking for, this should do the trick perfectly!

Anyways, hope that helps!

Thank you. I don't know how I didn't see that. That does pretty much what I need.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back