Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a reference to winsock.dll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

huttemannw

Programmer
Feb 6, 2003
US
I am attempting to add a reference to winsock.dll to use the Winsock control to do some email programming in Access. However, Winsock is not listed in the Available References listbox on the References dialog (or is it? Am I looking for the wrong name?). I clicked Browse, and tried to manually reference the file. But, whenever I do, I get the message "Can't add a reference to the specified file". I'm pretty sure that I've done this before, and I can't figure out why it isn't letting me do it now. Am I trying to reference the wrong dll? I tried a few others such as mswsock.dll and wsock32.dll , with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The correct reference to Microsoft Winsock Control is MSWINSCK.OCX in the System32 folder.

Good luck! Anthony J. DeSalvo
President - ScottTech Software
"Integrating Technology with Business"

I noticed that you are having the same problem as I am regarding references. Did you ever get things to work? So far I have been unable to get an answer to this problem. The kicker is that it doesn't do this to every file. In fact, I have found that if I copy the file to somewhere else I sometimes am able to get it to work. Based upon my research it appears you and I are the only ones with this problem. So if you come up with any answers I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

Yes, I did get my program to work. I had to register the MSWINSCK.OCX file with regsvr32, and then, to overcome license problems, I ran a program called VB6CLI. It sets the proper license settings in the registry for certain OCX files. Fortunately, MSWINSCK.OCX is one of them. After completing those steps, everything ran as advertised. You can download VB6CLI here:

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back