Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a red-line/threshold to a chart....just for context 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZacharyR

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2009
CA
sorry for all these chart questions....this one is really simple...for what it's worth, I do not think this is possible, but I just want to make sure.

I have sample data for water quality....i've charted it without any problems (X axis shows the date the sample was taken, and the Y axis shows the pollutant concentration)

Can I somehow add a red line to the chart to indicate a certain threshold value?? that is, the results will be displayed, but I want that red-line there for reference so the reader can discern if the results are higher or lower than the threshold (in this case the threshold is the provincial standard for a pollutant)

thanks!

Zach

Hi Zachary,

Create a formula:
@Threshold
< put here the value of the threshold>

Then, in chart expert, Data tab, add this formula to the Show Values, check 'Don't Summarize'. It will plot that value. I am not sure if you can change the color. If I find something, I'll let you know.

Dana

thanks! will give it whirl and report back! :)

OK....it sort of works....but not quite...here's what it's doing..

I followed your instructions...but when the chart draws what CR does is uses the value I set in @Threshold and ADDS it to the corresponding data point for the series. So, essentially, the threshold line is identical to the series, only that it is off-set by the value I used in @Threshold

The threshold line should be completely horizontal...like a constant....can this be accomplished? I've been digging through my CR training material for hints, but no dice.

tx

Zach

ok...sorted it out! thanks for the help! :D

Please explain what you did, so the thread becomes meaningful to other readers.

-LB

You can also set a single user-defined line to a constant value in the "Grids and scales" dialog. Its in the last tab on the right. Once it appears, you can click on it and changes it style/thickness/color etc...

Dan Weingart
OEM Technical Manager
Three D Graphics, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back