Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new Template`

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I have recently moved from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2013. I would like to use styles correctly.

I have created a template (with an additional style that I wish to use), and have saved it in folder
c:\Users\Dell\Documents\Custom Office Templates\Myformat.dotx

This seems to be the folder from which the command File\New selects some of the templates.

However, when I fire up Word again, I do not see Myformat as one of the options offered. Is it possible to have a template which I have defined (in this case myformat.dotx) offered up as an option, and how can I do that?

Thanks. Andrew

Can you not just open up the dotx and then go to the office button and save as Template?

Or am I missing something?

Never miss an opportunity to shut up

You can also include the style in normal.dotx so you don't need to load a specific template to use it. In the style's properties (right-click > Modify), you can specify that the style should be available to "New documents based on this template".

Thanks xlhelp. I had indeed saved the document as a template, and this goes automatically to folder . . . \Custom Office Templates\. The problem had been that this template was not being offered up when I asked to create a new document with File | New.

However I have since learned that (on that screen) you have to click on the bar which shows FEATURED _ PERSONAL, and set Focus to PERSONAL. This then shows the templates that you have set up.

Thank you both for your help.

regards. Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back