Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a New Range of Public Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

starwars

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
Hi

I am using fireall ng successfully with a range of 5 addresses. We have been assigned another 16 addresses by our isp. These are in a different range. Our isp handles our router and has said that they have passed trafic for the new addresses to our interface. I cant see the traffic in the logs at all for the new addresses ie it isnt dropping them. When i do a tracert on the new addresses they do end up at our router. I am totally stumped. Anyone any ideas please?

To clarify
i am assuming you are wanting you firewall to use the new range for NAT purposes.

your firewall is not recognising your new ip address range as attached to its external interface.

what you probably need is your isp to reconfigure the router to have the firewalls external interface as its last hop rather than the routers internal interface. this allows the firewall to then handle the addresses.
with the routers internal interface as the last hop the router is broadcasting to the lan connected to it. the firewall is not recognising that it is supoposed to respond to them. by changing the last hop to the firewall the firewall then knows it is to look at its own routing tables for a destination

I presume that you have configured your firewall to talk to the router using the new address range. If not then all traffic on the new range will stop at the router as it will have no where to forward to traffic to!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Its all sorted now, the ISP said the had set up a route to forward new traffic to the interface. When i asked them to sen dme the config of the router they hadnt. Set up the route and all new addresses working fine. Thanks for all your help

Claire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back