Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new email domain to exchange 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evonne

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have created a new exchange 2003 server and migrated all mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to the new server. I have created a seperate organisation using a new email domain for routing on the 2003 server but all the routing for our main address is on the 5.5 server. Therefore all the routing for our main email domain is on the 5.5 server with the use of custom recipients.

Tomorrow I intend to change the routing of our main email domain to the new exchange 2003 server and new organisation. All the DNS side is handled.

What I have read suggests all I need to do is add the main email domain address to the recipient policy on the ex 2003 server and then messages will route as normal once the firewall changes are made.

Is this correct or is there anything else I need to do?. We only have one exchange server in the new organisation and all routing will be handled by this server.

Many thanks

What you read about the recipient policy is correct. Once mail is routed to that server, the recipient policy will ensure that it won't be routed away from the server, and that it will accept delivery of that domain's mail locally. I don't anticipate you having any trouble with that.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

In order for Exchange to handle processing of email for an SMTP domain, such as example.com, that domain must appear in a recipient policy. MUST.

Based on your info, I would say that you'll likely just have to verify the SMTP domain name is in a policy (such as the default), and you should be all set. You could test this by telnetting to the 2003 box over port 25 and seeing if you can send a message to a mailbox on that server.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks - I thought so but it seemed too easy!

Thanks again.

If I have any issues I will post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back