Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a New Control File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekdudedude

Technical User
Sep 29, 2007
Hello,

I have a database that only has two control files and I want to add a third. I want to add X:\oradata\DB1\recovery3\control03.ctl. The only docs I seem to be able to find with examples are all 9i and older.

Will this work in 10g?
Code:
SQLPLUS> ALTER SYSTEM SET control_files='C:\oradata\DB1\recovery1\control01.ctl',
'D:\oradata\DB1\recovery2\control02.ctl','X:\oradata\DB1\recovery3\control03.ctl' SCOPE=SPFILE;

SQLPLUS> shutdown immediate
SQLPLUS> HOST copy C:\oradata\DB1\recovery2\control02.ctl X:\oradata\DB1\recovery3\control03.ctl
SQLPLUS> startup
SQLPLUS> SELECT name FROM v$controlfile;

Thanks,

TD

Santa's First Rule said:
One test is worth 100 expert opinions.
Have you tried your code yet? If so, what was the result?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Hi,

Your approach looks reasonable; however I would make one slight alteration in the Host copy command. Since you know that control01 is valid based upon the fact that you have a stable startable instance, I would copy control01 rather than control02 to create control03 as follows.

SQLPLUS> HOST copy C:\oradata\DB1\recovery2\control01.ctl X:\oradata\DB1\recovery3\control03.ctl

There could be a slight possibility that your control02 is corrupt. You haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet.

scott…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back