Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new 2008 server to a 2003 single server domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
We have a small server running 2003 standard AD/DNS
we are thinking of buying a second server since the old one is so small and having issues. it handle internet, authentications shared folders, and it's inside VMware with Linux/Clark Connect. Plus hard to update and its HD is nearly full. both C and D are on one physical drive.
I have a few questions to ask.
We have younger users that are blocked using Clark Connect to connect to internet. The exiting server is multi-homed. I want the young-lings to still log into the old domain/server and go thru Clark Connect. I would like the older users to connect to the new server shared folders Sharepoint services, SQL and not have to go thru Clark connect anymore.
The young-lings don't need the other services basically just internet. so nothing will change for them. But the older ones will be getting access to much more than we have now. or will have in the future.

How should I set up the new server as a new domain? in the same forest? or? How can users log into it and still get to the internet. Our FIOS router has 8 ports only 1 is used now.
Can I use IIS and connect a second Ethernet card in the new server so its multi-homed to the FIOS for the older users?

Any ideas?

TIA

DougP

Not too sure what your question is exactly... need more information about how things are setup too.

No idea why you'd need IIS but you can happily add in another NIC to the new server so it can access more than one network.

Describe what exactly you are trying to achieve and I'll see if I can help.

Good luck!

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back