Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a Linux machine to a SAMBA workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thordog

Technical User
Oct 6, 2002
US
I must be thinking about this wrong, but I can't figure out a way to add a Linux machine to my SAMBA workgroup. It seems like I ought to be able to set up a second Linux machine and see it in Net Neighborhood on my Windows machines or via Nautilus on my Linux machines. What am I missing here?

Am I just supposed to go with NFS to share files between Linux machines? It would be nice to do it with my SAMBA server. TIA!

A easy solution to access your files on a samba server from Linux is to mount smb shares using the smbmount command (there is lots of info on the web about this).

-DC

Thanks! Will I be able to see my nonserver Linux machines in Network Neighborhood (I can see the Linux SAMBA server by typing in smb: in Nautilus)? I'd just like one service to do everything roughly the same way on all of my machines, Linux and Windows.

When I looked at what smbmount offers, it looks like all I'll be able to share are files stored on the server, from Linux client to Linux client, that is. I can share from Windows to Windows and Linux to Windows, no problem. And I cn share from Linux server to Linux server, but not Linux client to liunx client.

Not really sure what will solve your problem.
-DC

Thordog
In windows, to file share you have to have the client for microsoft networks loaded to grab files from other machines. You also have to loaded File and Printer Sharing in order to share your files with others. So in essence you have to be a client and a server at once. In Linux its the same deal. You not only hanve to run the smbclient you also have to run the samba server on every Linux workstation that you want to share files on. You can copy the same smb.conf file to each machine and just change the netbios name parameter. Unless, ofcourse, the config file defines each server a a domain controller. :)

You will also want to update the shares on each machine as necessary.

if you want to share files from 1 linux box to another linux box smb is not actually the best way around it.

at our site (although we use solaris) we have 1 main samba server, it has auto_mount points for each department off / eg. /eng /accounts
the samba server then shares out these locations to the windows machines.

most of the sub-directories in these mount points are on the local machine, but some of them are mounted over the network.

samba doesn't care, and will broadcast them as being on the samba server directly.

hmm ... hope this helps someone :)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back