Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a dropdown to a tab in AD Users Computers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesti

MIS
Dec 8, 2000
US
Hi, I want to know if there is a way to add a dropdown box populated by a custom attribute to a tab, say 'account', when viewing properties of a user in the active directory users and computers snap in? What would this require? Any insight/speculation would be greatly appreciated.

Did a little more research and it seems we would need to create a .dll to accomplish this. As I am not a C++ or similar programmer this seems like not a trivial task. Am I off base here, is it really that difficult?

You can certainly add custom attributes into active directory using the schema mmc snap in, but you do need to be very careful with this as you are playing directly with the schema;
If you have to do this I suggest testing it thoroughly on a test network

Paul
MCSE

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Thanks. Will this also add a dropdown in the GUI to set the value of the custom attribute?

It will not. A viable alternative for you is to create a vbscript that is added as a display specifier.

These are fairly easy to set up and the cool thing is that the right click action will automatically feed your script the distinguished name of the object you clicked on as an argumen to the script. So using this method you could easily add a right click menu choice to display whatever information you wanted.

I have an FAQ on the subject that may make it clearer to you.

faq329-6614

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate your time. It is not exactly what we're looking for and we have a 3rd party solution application being implemented in a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back