Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a CPU to a p640 B80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xitron

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
I'm wanting to add an additional CPU and some additional RAM to a p640 B80, running AIX 4.3.3. Aside from recommending that I might need to update the firmware, the AIX docs are silent on what needs to be done to get the second CPU recognized and utilized by the system. There is also no indication as to whether I'll need to make any configuration changes to get the additional RAM recognized.

There was one thread here that stated that an smp kernel would need to be loaded, but I can find no documentation out there explaining how this is to be done, or even if this information is accurate.

So after updating the firmware, and installing the hardware, will I need to do something else to have these new devices recognized and utilized by the system?

Thanks,

Unca Xitron
Unix SysAdmin
Linux, FreeBSD, AIX

I just got a reply back from the vendor, and he said:

"You do not need to install an SMP kernel for the second CPU. Just take it down, add the CPU and the system will recognize it."

So, never mind. :)

Unca Xitron

If that works, let us know how it went. Thanks. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this. I had to wait until the customer would allow me the downtime to install the CPU and RAM.

So, to report back, it all went exactly as planned. I first installed the RAM (8 sticks of 128) and CPU. Then I restarted and upgraded the firmware. After that, the job was pretty much done. The docs suggested that I create paging space to the tune of TWICE the RAM!! When you've got 2GB of RAM, I don't know about you, but I'm not happy about losing 4GB of hard drive space! Especially when I'm hitting between 1-5% of paging space usage with the lsps -s command. So I increased it to 2GB to match the RAM, and will keep my eyes on it.

But the gent at IBM was correct. When I plugged in the RAM and the CPU, and restarted the computer - even before upgrading the firmware - the system correctly identified the amount of RAM and noted the addition of the CPU.

Unca Xitron

If bos.mp file set is installed then from software side nothing has to be done.

if the system has bos.up fileset and new cpu is added then bos.mp file set has to be installed and linking has to be done.

Interesting. Well, bos.mp was installed and committed, and I never did that, so maybe the system actually took care of itself, as advertised. Dunno. :)

Unca Xitron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back