Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a column to query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boccle

Technical User
Feb 19, 2003
GB
Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to Access 2000 and have been struggling with this one for a while.

I have a table tblWasteData with the following fields:
INDUSTRY_CODE
WASTE_CODE
WASTE_PROD

I have a query that currently picks out records from tblWasteData where INDUSTRY_CODE matches data in a text box (txtIndCode) on a form.

The results from this query will show records relating to one industry type only. However, WASTE_CODE varies for these records.

I would like to run the query so that it does the above and also does the following:
* creates a new column WASTE_PROD2 (the values in this column will be used later in another query to perform a calculation)
* the values in this column will equal those in WASTE_PROD if WASTE_CODE equals data in cboWasteCode on the form. If WASTE_PROD does NOT equal the value in cboWasteCode then a zero "0" should be entered into WASTE_PROD2.

My SQL so far:

SELECT tblWasteData.INDUSTRY_CODE, tblWasteData.WASTE_CODE, tblWasteData.WASTE_PROD
FROM tblWasteData
WHERE tblWasteData.INDUSTRY_CODE = Forms!MyForm!txtIndCode;

I hope someone can help....

TIA

Hiya Boccle,

If you go into the expression builder for a fresh field and enter:
Iif([WASTE_CODE]=[Forms]![MyForm]![cboWasteCode],[WASTE_CODE],0)
you should get a fresh column with the data you required.

Hope this helps you

:p

Ummm...I'm afraid that doesn't seem to work.

I get a message saying "The expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expresssion may contain too many complicated elements. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables."

Any ideas why it came up with that???

I can create a new column called WASTE4CALC which contains all the values in the field WASTE_PROD (see code below) but I just can't manage to make the new column only display the values from WASTE_PROD if that record has a WASTE_CODE that matches the waste code in cboWasteCode

SELECT tblWasteData.INDUSTRY_CODE, tblWasteData. WASTE_CODE, tblWasteData.WATE_PROD, [WASTE_PROD] As WASTE4CALC
FROM tblWasteData;

seems strange,

you've got me interested now, let me quickly knock up a duplicate and get back to you (I'm probably missing something obvious)

I made a little typo in my first posting should read
Iif([WASTE_CODE]=[Forms]![MyForm]![cboWasteCode],[WASTE_prod],0)

instead of

Iif([WASTE_CODE]=[Forms]![MyForm]![cboWasteCode],[WASTE_CODE],0)

however I have no problem with this when i tried it on my machine here is my SQL

SELECT tblWasteData.Industry_code, tblWasteData.waste_code, tblWasteData.waste_prod, IIf([waste_code]=[forms]![MyForm]![cbowastecode],[waste_prod],0) AS Waste_Prod2
FROM tblWasteData
WHERE (((tblWasteData.Industry_code)=[forms]![MyForm]![txtindcode]));

try that, if you still have problems I'll have another look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back