Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding 470-24 to 450 stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auger282

MIS
Sep 27, 2003
We have a stack of 6 450 switches currently there is only one SX GBIC out from switch#1. We were planning on creating some redundant links out by adding 470 switches using dual SX GBICs.

Now the plan was to do a switch-o change-o with one of the 450s with the 470. Taking the current base out.. and replacing it with the new base.. the 470.

We did see that the 470-48T could not be stacked with 450s so we didnt get that model.

So I plug the sucker in full steam and I get both the cascade lines blinking at me and the damn thing wont take the base IP address config. So I thought maybe it didnt want to be the base. So I made somebody else the base.. still no go.

450s are using firm 45
and the 470 is using 31
(should be the latest)

I know this can be done I'm just unsure of what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi

With an all-450 stack the cascade will not work properly unless all of them are at the same code levels. You may need to find out from Nortel what combination works with these two products

EB

hmmm looked it up in the 470 boss 3.1 documentation..

it only works with 450 boss ver 4.4.0.6 and not the 4.5 I'm running now..

thanks for the direction

Make sure the 470 stack operation mode is set to hybrid. Its under Main Menu->Switch Configuration->Stack Operation Mode. After you change it to hybrid you will have to restart the whole stack. This should fix the problem.

Hey I learned something here , I thought that the 470 did not work with a 450 in the same stack.
If I am understanding this correclty then it can work in a hyrid stack as long as the 450's has the 4.4.0.6 code.
Is that right ????

I've learned more since this post....

470-24 can stack with 450s... the 470 48 cannot

to get the 470 into your stack you need to add it to your exisiting stack (keeping the base the same) let it find everyone and adjust... then you shut it down and flop the base to the 470 and boot back up. When everyone comes back everyone should allow the 470 to stack with them and allow it to be the base... then you can do whatever you want after that.

My problem was I want to swap my current base for the new 470. So when I took the normal base out of place for the 470 it was having a hissy fit... I still have yet to try to get my 470 into the fold but I may try this weekend.. with some feedback.

Yes it turns out I had to back load my stack to 4.4 and the 470 has the latest and greatest.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.. I did a bunch of research on this one

There shouldnt be that much research needed really....i've made a bunch of 470(24T)hybrid stacks.

Here is the stack im working on now:

1 - 470 24T FW3.0.0.5 SW3.1.0 (BASE)
4 - 450 24T FW1.48 SW4.5.0.6

Stack them with the 470 as the base. The only setting you need to change for them to stack correctly is under:
Main Menu->Switch Configuration->Stack Operational Mode

The default is a pure stack of all 470, change that to Hybrid.

Reboot the 470 from the main menu and then power cycle the rest of the stack.

That should be everything you need to do. If anyone is having problems still let me know...ill try to recreate the problem here.

Two things to always check is the hybrid setting and making sure that software versions are compatable...ISVN numbers are key as they must be the same revision. If they are not, the stack will not work...base lights will flash all day long.

well I have the correct versions on everyhting ..but what I get now.. I bring in the 470 with the old 450 base on... everything is hunkey dorey...

then I reboot with the 450 as the base....

they all reboot and the old base has the base light blinking... then the 470's base starts to bling too.. so I have the old 450 AND the 470 blinking then....

..time passes....

..then suddenly the 470 reboots (I would assume its gotten its config and now is ready to do its thing)... but no.. comes back up and then only the 470 has its base light blinking with the cascade down showing as amber.

I'm about to toss this thing out the window....
..well that or call nortel

if you guys have ideas.. I'm game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back