Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding 2003 Server Domain Controller to 2000 Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaml1

MIS
Nov 24, 2004
DM
Hello everyone.

I am trying to promote a 2003 server machine to a domain controller on my existing 2000 domain. So far I have run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on my existing 2000 server domain controller. However when I run dcpromo on the 2003 server I get an error saying that the Forest is not prepared to install Active Directory. It tells me that the Active Directory of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on the 2003 machine.

(I thought adprep took care of that)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Liam

When you ran adprep /domainprep and /forestprep did you read the info and enter "C" i think it is or did you just hit enter and away it went? If you didnt use the called for letter again i think its "C" to continue it looks like the adprep commands run but they dont.

RoadKi11

No. The 2000 box is not running anything special./

Liam

Well im out of ideas, i would run adprep again to see what happens, if it doesnt need to update the schema it will say its already updated and doesnt need to run so you wont hurt anything. I have to believe it didnt run or it finished with errors and didnt complete the schema update.

RoadKi11

Is this 2003 R2? If so then run adprep from CD2.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Pagy nailed it - you need to run ADPREP from CD2 of the R2 set of disks.

When you add a 2003 domain controller you are essentially upgrading the domain to AD 2003. To that end, I suggest you review the information in the links below:

Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003 Domain

Hotfixes to install before you run adprep /Forestprep on a Windows 2000 domain controller to prepare the Forest and domains for the addition of Windows Server 2003-based domain controllers

Commodore.ca | Windows | How To Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain to Windows 2003 Server
Quote from the top of this article: "Several glossy Microsoft presenters have stated that all you need to do to complete a Windows 2003 Domain upgrade is run ADPREP and then upgrade away. This may work for very small / simple environments but it is definitely not good advice for most companies. After upgrading five servers in two unrelated domains and installing many fresh copies of 2003 I can say that I personally would not skip a single step in the process I have developed below."

How can I transfer some or all of the FSMO Roles from one DC to another?

How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000

[If you run Exchange 2000] Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command Causes Mangled Attributes in Windows 2000 Forests That Contain Exchange 2000 Servers

Windows Server 2003 Upgrade Assistance Center

[If using R2 release of Windows 2003] Extending Your Active Directory Schema for New Features in Windows Server 2003 R2

How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

How can I move a DHCP database from one server to another?

How can I move DNS from one Windows 2000 Server to another Windows 2000 Server?
(Two Related if going 2000 to 2003 - read both before moving)

Thanks guys. Running Adprep from CD 2 did the trick.

Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back