Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Addin New Terminal on ALOHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothiespc

Technical User
May 4, 2010
US
I am replacing one terminal in a 2 terminal system. When I put the new terminal on the network, it shows on the BOH as being on the network and I even moved the Terminst file from TERM1 to TERM2 from the BOH computer. I performed a terminstall on TERM2 and it installed ALOHA. When I restart the terminal, ALOHA loads and syncs and determines master terminal. When it goes to locating file server it counts up to 60(sometimes only 30) and then goes to a screen that says cannot locate file server with the Make File Server button. I tried this with 2 different terminals before putting the old terminal back on the system. The new terminals have Windows 98, but the one I am replacing does as well.
I do not know what to do next...

Was this terminal previously setup for aloha or a fresh install of 98?

Fresh install of 98. I went through netwoirk properties and set up the IP addy etc axactly as it was in the old terminal that I am replacing.

The Aloha application software can use either TCP/IP or NetBEUI as its network protocol. Select either one, but both the file server and the terminals must use the same protocol.

select the Advanced tab, and select 'Set this protocol to be the default protocol'.

use static IP addresses

To add file and print sharing for the Aloha application software, click the File and Print Sharing button and select both options.

The Primary Logon Type is typically set to Windows Logon.

Set the terminal's network name under the Identification tab. Aloha Technologies uses TERM1, TERM2, and so on by default.

Set the Workgroup name the same on all terminals and the file server. IBERTECH is usually the Workgroup name, but this name can be of your choice as long as it is consistent throughout the Aloha application software.

Ensure that 'Share-level access control' is selected under the Access Control tab.

Aloha Share Name
The Aloha application software requires a network share name of BOOTDRV. This is the required name. This share needs to be applied to the root folder or drive in which the Aloha folder resides. To set the share, right-click the drive or folder and choose Sharing. Set the Share Name to BOOTDRV, the Access Type to Full, and leave the password fields blank.

If the Aloha application software resides in C:\ALOHA, share C:\ as BOOTDRV.

Display Settings
To access the Display settings, select Start/Settings/Control Panel/Display or right-click the Windows desktop and select Properties. Select the Settings tab. Set the Color palette to 256 Colors or higher. Aloha Technologies typically uses 16-bit color.

Do not enable a Windows screen saver.

Set Time Zone & Daylight Savings

FIFO Buffers

To access the FIFO buffer settings, select Start/Settings/Control Panel/System or right click My Computer and select Properties. Select the Device Manager tab, and click the plus sign (+) next to Ports to expand it. Select each port one at a time, and select Properties/Port Settings/Advanced. Clear 'Use FIFO buffer'. Repeat for each COM port. The LPT port does not have this option.

To clear the current user names and passwords, delete *.PWL from the Windows folder to remove all users. Select Start/Shutdown. Select 'Close all programs and log in as a different user' and click Yes. Windows logs the current user out and prompts for a user name and password. Enter the desired user and password and log in to Windows.

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET PATH=%PATH%
DOSKEY

I checked everything except the AUTOEXEC.BAT, but all is correct and I compared the two windows 98 terminals side by side and everything to do with the networking is identical on the terminals. When I hook the new terminal up it is on the network, but when I start ALOHA it still can't locate the file server. I did another terminstall as well. Will the AUTOEXEC.BAT file as shown above cause this problem?

copy the autoexec.bat file from another terminal. Open it to check it. See if ther is any reference to a terminal number then change it if so. Check to make sure that you have a bootdrv share on the terminal.

Browse to aloha\tmp. Open the latest date and time debout file. Copy and paste the LAST 30-50 or so lines it on your next post.

Will copy and post debout later. I tried copy and paste of the autoexec.bat fromthe terminal that has Windows 98 on it already(Term2). When I opened it, I didnt see any reference to a terminal number at all.Anyway, this didnt work either. Still doing the same thing. Thanks
e

if it detects the master terminal but not the fileserver. then chances are your logins are not the same as the alohaboh computer. post your debout file so i can see what its doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back