Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added secondary 70GB HDD - goes corrupt after 23GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookey

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
EU
Hello,
I have added a 70GB ide hdd in my tower pc on the secondary cable. I fdisked and formatted it using a win 98 boot disk using large disk support. This then show the full 70GB available for use. I then installed it as the second hdd on my NT4 workstation pc and copied all my data over to it.
It gets to about 23.2 GB full and stops and displays 'file and folders corrupt'. When I click on the folder structure it also displays the same message. I have copied other data across and it happens again, so its not the data.
Do you know of any limitations using a second HDD in Windows NT4. I'm confused as to why the HDD suddenly stops after copying 23GB's of data.???

Your post is either missing something or it doesn't make sense.

NT4 does not support fat32 filestore (without third party software).
Fdisk with large disk support creates fat32 filestore.

So how come the NT can even access the partition at all? (are you using third party software?). Is it really NT (not 2k or XP?)

btw - assuming you are using NT, and its SP4 or later, its Disk Administrator can partition & format the new disk (ntfs) - should have no trouble with it then.

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Sorry if I have confused you.
I am using NT4 with ntfs. I cannot run disk administrator at first as it will only see 8062 or upto 7.8GB when you create partition and format.
The way around it is to use fdisk and use large file support so it can then see the whole 70GB.
I boot up nt4ws (sp6a) and can then see the 70GB drive.
I do a quick format in disk administrator and tick 'Use NTFS' and see the whole drive ok.
For some reason it starts playing up after 23GB of data.??

You've still confused me!

Are you saying NT4 SP6a, disk administrator sees the drive as 8GB unless you first put a 70GB fat32 partition on the drive? If so, it sounds like you need a specific driver for this disk to allow NT to access it properly. SP6a can handle partitions terabytes big (I certainly also would NOT QUICK format it).

btw, what does disk administrator display when the 70GB fat32 partition is on the drive?

I need to go back to basics with this.
I still have the problem and cannot find a solution as yet.
I have just recieved a replacement 70GB ide hdd to make sure the original wasn't corrupt. I have installed it as secondary onto nt4ws (sp6a) and here is the problem:
If I go into disk administrator and look at disk 1 (which is the 80Gb hd). When I create the partition it will only see upto 8GB's so I am stuck.
The only option that I know is to boot up with a windows 98 boot disk. Run fdisk and say Yes to enable large disk support. I then swap to the 80GB drive and select 'Create dos partition or logical drive'. I then select' Create primary partition' and yes to use the whole 80BG.
Once it has finished I then format it and and reboot.
I then boot up NT4 from disk 0 and go into Disk Administrator and highlight the 80GB drive and format with ntfs.
I can then see the 80GB drive OK.
The major problem is when I copy data over to the new drive. Once it gets to about 23GB it stops and displays an error message "error copying file - the file or directory is corrupt or non-readable". It falls over everytime around the 23GB limit. Is there a limit to nt4ws using very large secondary ide drives.??

In your bios are you using Logical Block Addressing(LBA? Nt4 should be able to access this size no problem. I would say you may need to flash your BIOS on the motherboard. I belive this should fix your problem, as this is very common.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean turn lba on or off.??
The only setting I can see in the bios on my compaq desktop is translation mode is bit shift.
Do I change it to LBA assisted or off.
Also do I change each hard disk in the bios to this or just the default values.??

Hookey - good luck with the bios, but I think there's nothing wrong with your it (you have used fdisk & format to create and format an 80GB FAT32 partition (is it 80 or 70?) - you can't do this if bios is not 'seeing' the disk). The problem is with how NT is accessing the drive (IMO)

I suggested you might need a specific driver for NT (I take it there is no mention of this on manufacturer's site, as you've not made any reference to the suggestion) - ie, standard atapi.sys can only give partial access to the disk.

Another suggestion.

Use this app (from a 98 boot floppy) to delete the partition you created with fdisk & to create an ntfs partition (it doesn't format, just partitions).
Go back into NT and see if there is an unformatted ntfs partition there - if there is, format it & try using it again.

PS. Something I totally overlooked - are the jumpers correct on the drive (there are 'limiting' settings for backward compatibility on some drives - and I know from experience that with them 'on' some o/s take notice of them and some don't).

PS. Have you got latest drivers for your motherboard installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back