Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added Second Processor to Proliant 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickgt1

MIS
Sep 19, 2002
US
This might be a dumb question, but shouldn't nt4.0 detect and use a second processor?

I have spent 30 minutes installing the second processor. First it did not detect the second one at all. Then i reset the NVram on the system board and it detected it after reconfiguration.

Now both processors boot up. But in NT4.0 when i go to System Information, there is only one processor listed. What gives? Is there something that I'm forgetting to do? Thanx in advance for the advice.

NT will need a separate HAL driver for the second processor. Don't have a link for it at hand, but you should be able to search Compaq and get it.

Easiest way to do the NT upgrade is to run the Compaq SSD. One of the options will be to upgrade the processor HAL. You can do it manually with UPTOMP from the resource kit but it is a bit of a hassle.
Just remember to use the new hall.dll krnl.* etc. from your current service pack NOT the original server install.

Neill

Thanx ntinlin. I will just have to go and try that. Compaq themselves are lost in my project here. For some odd reason, they don't know why thier hal updade does not work for me. They even gave me an old version of the update to attempt this fix. Thanx, i will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back