Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added SCSI HDD to my system => W2K does not boot any more !

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanderKal

Programmer
Aug 26, 2002
FR
Hi !

I've just bought a new SCSI HDD for my computer (PIII 550) and when I plug it, it is well recognized by the scsi controller but at startup, W2K crash (blue screen) after a few seconds, whatever mode i choose... (the blue screen is often a driver that cannot be load)

When I remove this HDD, W2K boots perfectly...

my actual config : PIII550, 256 Mo ram, HDD SCSI 9Go ID 0, HDD IDE 15 Go, CD-ROM SCSI ID 6, CD-RW SCSI ID 4.
the new HDD : 18 Go SCSI ID 1.

thanks for any help...

The only reason i can think of is a problem with the windows Bootmanager which hd is your boot device ?

and you sure the termaination is perfect ?
you could try is to update your scsi card's bios to the latest firmware

Hi and thanks for help guys...

I made some new tests and i think the problem comes from w2K it self but i may have a terminason problem too.. I'm not an expert in SCSI and i'm now a little bit desesperate...

In fact, W2K halts with a blue screen with this message : Plug and Play has found an error etc...

This occurs also when i do not plug the new HDD and when I put a bootable CD in my cd-rom player, but still booting with the HDD. In this case the scsi controller change the cdrom letter to A and the floppy to B...

last night i decided to reinstall all of W2K on the new HDD (without erase the old one). I works. BUT, after changing letters in the disk manager, I have the same comportment with the CD player. The only difference now is that i can boot W2K with all my HDD (but i think that if i had one, it will be the same problem)

But it would be too simple... 'cause now W2K see all of my disks, all of the partitions but reading on the old HDD is slow and discontinued and writing is auwfull : it crash W2K and disconnect the HDD :-( I suppose this problem is a terminaison problem on the SCSI chain but don't really know how to solve it. this will the challenge for the next nights !

If there is a master of SCSI chain here, he will be welcome at home for a great dinner (in france...)

thanks

Xander

ps : SCSI controller : AHA-2940U2
HDD ID0 : quantum atlas V (this disk is the problem now)
HDD ID1 : seagate 31806LW (boot device now with "fresh" W2K sp3 install) (end of scsi cable)

Maybe a re-install of Windows 2000 would do the trick - all your settings will be retained as long as you don't format the drive at any point during the installation ;-)

Just as the blue setup screen appears, press F6, and add the driver for the SCSI card at that point. If you install Mass Storage Device Drivers later in the NT/W2k setup routine, it tends to screw up, IME.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Termination shoud exist on the controller and the last
scsi device.

ie: Contoller (terminate)
Seagate ID0
Quantum Atlas ID1
CD-RW SCSI ID4
CD-ROM SCSI ID6 (terminate)

Mainegeek,

for the termination, the adaptec controller has one (mode auto in controller card). For the other devices, it is a little bit more complicated because some are in wide (LVD) mode on a 68 pin cable and some in narrow mode (the 2 cd players). I think i need two terminaison : one on the wide chain and one on the narrow chain. Is that right ? I know that on LVD HDD there is no on board termination, so i really need an external one. Maybe there is one in CD player one the narrow chain. I will check this.

An other question : why does whith only one HDD, there is no problem ? is it chance only ? And why with two HDD, one works good ?... chance too i suppose...

thanks again

Xander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back