Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added new subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2001
US
We recabled our entire company and added several new subnets, and now you can't remote to most workstations. Is there some way "from the server" to update the information without having to go to each workstation and reload the sms client?

Let me add, when you try to remote.....it looks at the old ip and then the new ip, then the old...etc., yet never connects. I've noticed on a few workstations, that the sms icon in control panel is gone. We do not use DHCP yet, ip's are static.

Can someone please help?

My feelings are getting hurt.....nobody has answered me. Since I posted this I went into SMS Administrator and network discovery and added all the new subnets, told it to go out and discover.......but this hasn't helped.

anybody?

debbie, what i do not quite understand is what happened to the "old" sms-clients ? they got a new networkcable - so what ? did you change ip settings on them ?
...or i got your posting wrong... ;)

what you could do is to set the interval for the db-history concerning the client data to a shorter period...or delete the client from the db and let sms discover it again...
check when your network discovery is set to run...
or create a .ccr for the clients causing troubles...

Well, I don't know what happened. We could remote to any computer in the company. After we recabled (new switches, new subnets) we did change everybodys ip address to reflect the new subnet. The weird thing is some of them updated fine, the majority seemed to drop their client into some unknown abyss. Anyhoo I did the easy thing and sent an email to everyone with the link to smsman.exe and had them run it. Now the site is populating with the new subnet ip's and all is well. The one's that were unsuccessful, I will look at with the knowledge of your post and see what I come up with.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back