Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Added a 2008 DC without running AP prep first - can i run it now? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedea

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
So I didn't do my homework and added a 2008 domain controller to my 2003 forest without running adprep first. We are having some issues. Can I just run it now, or do I have to demote the 2008 DC, run adprep, and then re-promote it?

I will be up front with you, that is an interesting scenario, and I am not sure about that. I would hope that you would have backed up your domain contollers before you did this but you probably didn't. I would say the best action would be demoting the machine then promoting. I would probably run a dcdiag against all of your domain contollers be for promoting it again. At the very least you should probably backup ad right now before you do anything just in case.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Thanks, I do have a backup, so that is ok. I will demote and start over.

There is some info on microsoft.com on verifying your schema version. I'd look at what it SHOULD be, and compare it with what it IS. You may find you're fine.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

I don't know if you'd be able to DCPROMO a 2008 box without ADPrep happening at some point, so I'd echo Pat: you may be fine. I also don't think you could cause a problem by re-running ADPrep, so if you are concerned, that's the direction I'd head.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thank you to 58Sniper and ShackDaddy, you are both correct. In checking the schema version, I find that it is correct (47) for 2008 R2. I guess dcpromo is smarter than I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back