Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Win 2K Server to existing NT 4 server environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobot

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
We current have a Windows NT 4 Server environment, with 1 PDC and 1 BDC. I have a current domain called X. We use static ip addressing and do NOT run DHCP, WINS, or DNS on the servers. I point the workstations directly to the ISP DNS servers for name resolution for Internet access via our T1 router connection. Everything has worked fine for years.

We are taking on a new project and I now want to add a Win 2000 Server box to the network on domain Y and have several workstations running XP log into domain Y server for file access on the Win 2K box. However, I still want to be able to access the Internet from the new server and workstations, and I certainly don't want to screw up the current environment.

I am concerned about setting up Win 2K Server as a Domain Controller with Active Directory and how it might affect my current authentication on old domain X machines. I really don't see a need for regular communication between the new Win 2K Server and the old Win NT servers, or any machines on old domain X for that matter. I just need to be able to offer Internet/email access through the cabling for new domain Y.

Any ideas, caveats, notes, or suggestions ASAP would help greatly!

- Bob

I have kind of same problem as you. As far as my knowledge goes, you need a register domain name and must run DNS on your LAN. You can use your NT 4.0 domain name, which you are using now (as child domain). Your can create trust relationship with your NT 4.0 domain “X” and use the connection for Internet purpose. Please also check my question “DNS delegation issue” dated 2/6/2003. Good luck!!

I just hoping I could just set up the new W2K Server with DNS, Active directory, and a new domain name, then have the associated workstations authenticate the that new domain controller only and point their DNS to that server. That new server would point it's DNS to the ISP's DNS for Internet resolves, and other than using the same cabling for traffic, hopefully the new W2K server in the new domain doesn't see, interfere with, or care about the old Win NT4 PDC and BDC and vice-versa?

Anyone?

- Bob

just install your new machine with active directory, use a different name than domain x. Get your xp machines log in to the new domain. then in the dns config, right click the machine name and select properties. on the second tab 'forwarders' enter your isp dns servers address. bingo your active directory machines will query the local dns server of which will then query the isp if it can't resolve. Make sure the machine on the active directory side don't have conflicting ip address with domain x. Does your router use NAT or do you have a handful of public addresses assigned to you? this would be your only hurdle

this is the simple way. if you want domain x to talk to domain y or share dns wins thats possible too, but a little more planning is necessary first

also use a domain name with a .local extension (ie mycompany.local instead of mycompany.com)and this will prevent dns errors with public addressing inless you have and plan on using your public dns naming

Why do you need to set the W2K server up as a domain controller? It sounds like you wish to keep the current environment as unchanged as possible, and just want to add a new server. If you add it as a member server, the new server and the clients will just use your current PDC and BDC for authentication. Perhaps start using Active Directory when you're ready to change settings on each workstation and keep your current domain.

-Brett

Brett -

I wanted to keep the new server and workstations logically separate from the current setup, as it is to support a new project and new customer and should have nothing to do with the other machines currently on the network.

However, I understand what you are saying. Just set the new win2k box up as a member server on the old domain and let the new workstations authenticate to the old nt box. Then just set up shares on the new member server and go.

I'd like to get the new stuff/active directory set up though so I don't have to play with changes like this later once everything is up and running, so I'm liking KingE's ideas above...

Do you concur or see any problems with his scenario?

Thanks!

- Bob

KingE -

I like your scenario a lot.

To answer your question, we have a full class C set of ip addresses assigned and they are statically assigned to all machines.

Thanks for the help!

- Bob

Since you want to keep them separated, KingE has a good plan for you. As he said, you'll need to setup Trusts if you want to share anything between the domains.

Brett -

Good deal. Thanks for all your help!

- Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back