Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Update Records Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz0fBaud

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hey Guys,
I have two tables that I want to compare based on a single field. Both tables are exactly the same except for 3 columns that were added in table B.

So basically I want to take table A and say if Field1 in table A matches field1 in table B, ok but check the rest of the columns to make sure they match.

If field 1 in table A doesn't match anything in table B, add the record to table B with null values in for the 3 columns that are different.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? Thanks so much for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Can you clarify what is happenning? It seems you have two tables
Table A
Fields A B C D

Table B
Fields A B C D E F G

If you try to load A records into B then, if you are matching on a key field, duplicates will be rejected automatically, otherwise a new record will be created with null values in E,F,G (unless you have different settings).

So that looks straightforward but what does this mean: ok but check the rest of the columns to make sure they match.?

What I mean is that I will be matching on a key field like you said. But what I would like the query to do is say. Ok, I found this key field (lets call it field A) in both Tables A and B. But since table A is the master and most important table, overwrite fields BCD in table B so they match table A. If key field does not exist, create from table A and enter null values in EFG like you said...

Does that clarify it a little better?

So adding new records is sorted.

To update, join from A to B. This will connect all the matching records. Now in your update query design screen, set B.B = A.B and B.C = A.C and B.D = A.D. That's all you need to do, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back