Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Special Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Element74

Technical User
Mar 23, 2005
US
This is probably a very basic question but I'm a user, not a programmer, so I'm having a hard time with it. I've used our AS400 every day for ten years but have been without a programmer for the last three. I've managed to figure out and pick up a lot of stuff over time, but there are still things I don't know how to do.

I have recently added a user and need to assign her certain special authorities, but there are only two lines and I need a third. I can see "+ for more values," but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add another line. What do I need to do to make another line appear? One of my programs is hung up on an authority issue, and I'm fairly certain the lack of this third special authority is the problem.

Also, is there an easy way to just copy an existing profile? We very rarely add them, but when I do I've used CRTUSRPRF and manually changed the values.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I'm hoping I understand your question correctly....

It's not so much a command as probably a key or key combination, like shift+F4 or something. There must be a way to add a line to the "special authority" parameter in a user profile, because I have eight in mine. I want to add *SPLCTL; I already have *ALLOBJ and *JOBCTL listed for her.

When you use the command CHGUSRPRF, you can put a + on the special authority line. A profile is allowed up to 8 values. If you already have 5, you can add 3 more. In your case, since you have 2 authorities, it should allow you to had up to 6 more.

I don't know why it won't allow you to do it.

Another way to get the change a profile is using WRKUSRPRF and option 2. WRKUSRPRF is also the easy way to copy. Option 3 is for copying one profile and give it a new name.

Here's a link from IBM's website that may help. Search for user profiles.

Putting a + on the line worked perfectly. I wasn't aware I had to put an actual + on the line itself; I thought there may have been a particular key I was somehow missing. Now let's hope that adding the additional special authority solves the program error.

Thanks so much for helping solve this mystery and providing the info for copying profiles; I'd been looking for a way to add a line for two days and had become quite exhausted and frustrated. I've gone from clueless user to having to support the system myself without the benefit of actually knowing RPG (or any language, for that matter). I do try to check the IBM site and Google when I have questions, but I may not always know exactly how to phrase what I'm looking for and therefore come up empty sometimes.

Thanks again.

Element74,

You're welcome. It's always tough when you're starting something new.

Glad I could help.

BTW: The easiest way, esp for a "novice", to handle security is through Navigator. You have a copy option there, plus all the values have descriptions that are readable. It uses check boxes for many options.

Element74, I supposed by your posting that you are trying to administer AS400. This is not an easy task. There are a lot of components that you have to learn. RPG is an option but not required if you are administering the system. CL programming is a must. I remember(in my old days with as400) there used to be tutorial disk or diskette or maybe cd that are available for learning the system. Otherwise, you are stuck with having some kind of training with IBM.

Good luck.

Tips: to see all available commands do a F3 when in a command line.

Wow! Thank you all for all the additional information and advice; it will definitely come in handy. Hopefully I'm all done with making changes. My program is now working and everything seems to be running smoothly, thank goodness.

I really do enjoy working with the 400, but I just don't know enough to be confident about poking around inside. Since I don't really have much choice, I learn as much as I can when I can. I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge with me. I will find everything I have (that I can actually locate) for this system and see what kind of tutorials may have come with it, as well explore Navigator further and do some more reading on IBM's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back