Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add short cut on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

calitoday

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2006
US
Hi,
My company just migrated from Novell to Active Directory. I am new to Windows. I am the local LAN Administrator. I am told to create 2 short cuts as follows: and a mapped shared drive: \\something\myfolder
and put these two shortcuts on the Human H\Resource Users' desktop when they login. I am thinking about creating a Human Resource Desktop group so that when someone who is assigned to this group would get the two shortcuts. Since I am new to Windows, I don't know how to do this. Please advice. Much appreciated.

This FAQ by marcdmac will show you how to map drives and create shortcuts in a VBScript login script.

You could check group membership in the script to create the shortcuts or you could create a slightly different script for the HR people.

Since you're new to this world, look up Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC) to learn how to assign login scripts.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

URLs can be added to the IE favourites, or even made a home page if required with out issue via GPOs for the user group;

uers config > windows settings > IE Maintenance > Important URLs >

The drive mapping ( outside of the home drive ) is best doen via a logon script.

Have a look at my FAQ: faq329-5798

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Huh. It was Mark's FAQ I tried to link to in my post. I know I pasted it into the edit box. ;-)

Mark, thanks for posting the actual link.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back